Crusader

If Ww3 Were Declared Right Now

Would you enlist in the army/navy/airforce?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you enlist in the army/navy/airforce?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

I voted no, mainly because I'm not a fan of the Panopticon life that we are accustomed to. I would though if my family and friends were threatened, so it's a fine line...or if I decided to become suicidal, like come on most casualties on the Allied Coalition are friendly fire or accidental shit.

I personally don't want to be transformed into some war tool for the government to gain more centralized power and control more people. Ugh I can't even put a proper arguement together...bah it's gettin late

If WWIII were to happen I would like to think that Canada would have a just cause in fighting in it... the first two wars where fought to stop an oppressive power from invading and destroying... I would only fight if it where of a cause like that again

Edited by Shakakahn

We joined in both world wars more because Britain told us to than for any high moral reasoning like stopping an oppressive invader.

Anyone else find it interesting the Quebec was all about supporting France in the World Cup, but not in the World Wars?

I'd probably join into the officer corps.

I voted no based on the fact I am from the US. They would more than likely would draft soldiers, like they have in the past. But being 29 years old, it would be very unlikly that I would be drafted per se. And if I was, I would not be able to serve due to a major knee injury.

IF WW3 was anything like WW1 I wouldn't join. However, if it was a Nazi power again, I might, simply because I dont agree with the system that we have now, but I also would not want to live under a Nazi rule either. However most wars are based on imperial ambitions, so overall if it were a WW3 over resources (not unlikely) I would have no part in it.

Here's the problem:

I'm already planning (though it's not for sure) to join the army/navy/air force during university to train as a military pharmacist, do my thing in the army for however long I need to, and go on with other things in life.

Secondly, under what terms are WWIII being fought? Israel v. Middle East? I wouldn't enlist in the army to join that fight because neither side is worth fighting/dying/killing for to me.

EDIT: Like Supercanuk said, if it's a repeat of WWI then I wouldn't join. And I wouldn't be surprised if the next major conflict turned out to be something like WWI.

Edited by ecnarf

Are you going to be commisioned or stay NCM? There are actually 20 year terms of service if you're commisioned.

edit: nvm it looks like three years.

How long can I stay in the Army (Regular Force)?

: Your duration of service will depend on the type of contract you sign, and your suitability for military service. Normally your first contract will be for a reasonably short duration, such as three years. Once this first period of service elapses, you can normally elect to sign on for a longer period of service, or take your release from the forces. If your performance during a period of service is sub-standard, you may not be offered a subsequent contract. Many people enjoy twenty and even thirty-year-long careers in the Army. For information on pensions, check out the Regular Force Pay and Benefits page or the Reserve Force Pay and Benefits page found in the What to Expect section of this site.

Chances are I might be in for longer than three years, as ROTP members have to serve "an obligatory period of service". Either way I'm going to do a lot more research into the military before committing to something.

EDIT: Back on topic, what do you mean by "all countries involved"? In WWI and WWII there was a sort of base conflict that got all the other countries involved. For example, WWI was Germany's unification despite the balance of power remaining the same as it was in 1815. WWII was Germany's dissatisfaction over the terms of the Treaty of Versailles.

Edited by ecnarf

If all the continents are just gonna have at it, let the computer nerds with their nuclear bombs solve the problem.

I'll just move into the middle of the Northwest Territories and build myself a bunker.

EDIT: Like Supercanuk said, if it's a repeat of WWI then I wouldn't join. And I wouldn't be surprised if the next major conflict turned out to be something like WWI.

Then you must have zero knowledge of military tactics. The advent of the tank and precision bombing killed trench warfare.

WWI was entirely imperialistic in its causes.

And I voted 'no' to the poll, because I'm almost certain that Canada would join the side of the most likely aggressor state (that will remain nameless).

Edited by Russell