ecnarf

Attn: Computer Geeks

Hey everyone.

I just got myself a new Macbook for university. All new and shiny. Et cetera.

One little problem - I can't connect to the internet via the wireless network in my house. The computer is connected to the network and the internet definitely works over the network, but I can't connect to the internet on the network with the mac.

What I need is something called the M.A.C. number. This has nothing to do with Apple - it's called the media access control number and it is given to every wireless device. The security settings on the network are such that I need this number in order to get on the internet - this keeps undesirables from connecting. I spent some time on the phone with the Apple hold line and was ultimately told that I need to contact D-Link (the router manufacturer) in order to find out what the number is.

Is anyone good enough with computers to help me figure out what this number is without forcing me to waste some time on D-Link's support line?

I got a macbook for graduation as a gift, it's awesome. I had no problem connecting to my wireless router, I really didn't do anything it just detected it and bam I was on the net as soon as I opened it up. I have a linksys router by the way, if that has anything to do with it I don't know.

I got a macbook for graduation as a gift, it's awesome. I had no problem connecting to my wireless router, I really didn't do anything it just detected it and bam I was on the net as soon as I opened it up. I have a linksys router by the way, if that has anything to do with it I don't know.

The reason it worked for you is that your security settings are rather lax. We have ours set up so that you have to go into some special webage and add the Airport ID of your card into a list so that it can access the 'net... plus, you need a password just to get on the network.

Either way, its now working and i'm typing this through my fancy MacBook. It's pretty cool, but I sort miss having a full window open.

I'm glad to hear you got it working. I was just going to give you the steps you needed.

I would like to clarify a few things:

First, this was not a problem with his macbook, it was a problem with his router not knowing his computer yet. I have the same kind of set up on my wireless network. It is totally impossible for any unknown computer to join the network, unless they can spoof your MAC address number, which is unchangeable on *most* cards.

Second, I am a computer geek, who uses a mac. I have more power on the BSD subsystem interface than all of the windows users on this bored have combine. At least OS X is build on a kernel that was designed in the last 10 years (windows is still at it's core running the DOS kernel)

Incidentally to get your mac address you typing "ifconfig -a" on the terminal, it's usually en0.

Peace

Incidentally to get your mac address you typing "ifconfig -a" on the terminal, it's usually en0.

I hate to sound like an idiot here, but what/where is he terminal?

P.S. We should start a Mac fan club and then make stupid jokes about not inviting Windows users.

my friend had the same problem with a mac, and he could never figure it out. and well, we didnt make fun of him that much for having a mac cause he was in photography and needed it. but we still snickered a bit.

Please tell me you're wearing a short-sleeved shirt and tie.

I'd just like to point out that I am in fact wearing a short sleeved shirt and tie at this very moment

Give me your lunch money, post-haste.