ecnarf

Attn: Computer Geeks

Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

If it's not their, then it's not installed.

Also: The NT kernel wasn't written from scratch. It still contains elements of DOS. I'll bet it it a fully 32 bit kernel, but it does contain ported code.

"Windows NT is a 32 bit patch of a 16 bit gui built for an 8 bit operating system, designed for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

And I'm all for forming an Apple group. Then you could post your issues, and we could just ban all these windows n00bs from posting their mac nay saying statements.

ALL HAIL APPLE, ALL HAIL APPLE, STEVE JOBS IS GOD. *cough* I don't know where that came from...

Peace

And I'm all for forming an Apple group.  Then you could post your issues, and we could just ban all these windows n00bs from posting their mac nay saying statements.

isnt OS X just a modified version of Linux Yellow Dog? or am i wrong?

Edited by garsk

Maybe MAC should get the stick out of there ass about OS X being able to run on a pc.. If people want to used OS X without a mac go for it. They now sell the OS in a box at any future shack so they should expect there OS to be used in anyway. and It's not like the OS is stolen.. Just alittle modifyed to be able to run on the PC

Maybe MAC should get the stick out of there ass about OS X being able to run on a pc.. If people want to used OS X without a mac go for it. They now sell the OS in a box at any future shack so they should expect there OS to be used in anyway. and It's not like the OS is stolen.. Just alittle modifyed to be able to run on the PC

It'd probably be a huge business boost for Apple if they made OS X for PC's. I mean, aside from the fact that most people have no use for two operating systems on one computer, Apple would no doubt benefit from sales. And maybe after using OS X on a PC, they'll decide they want the real experience and get a Mac.

My current issue: Everything I download ends up on my desktop. How do delete the shortcut while maintaining the actual file?

P.S. To get the MAC Address (or Airport ID) it's System Preferences > Network > Configure.

Maybe MAC should get the stick out of there ass about OS X being able to run on a pc.. If people want to used OS X without a mac go for it.  They now sell the OS in a box at any future shack so they should expect there OS to be used in anyway.  and It's not like the OS is stolen.. Just alittle modifyed to be able to run on the PC

It'd probably be a huge business boost for Apple if they made OS X for PC's. I mean, aside from the fact that most people have no use for two operating systems on one computer, Apple would no doubt benefit from sales. And maybe after using OS X on a PC, they'll decide they want the real experience and get a Mac.

My current issue: Everything I download ends up on my desktop. How do delete the shortcut while maintaining the actual file?

You have a point there, if MAC would openly release there OS, to run on any type of computer weather it be a PC or MAC, it may just help them regain some lost ground.

and as for your problem a short cut is just a link that will take you to a file somewhere else on the computer. so when you delete a shortcut you shouldn't be deleting the files it self but just the link to get to the files, which are stored else where on the computer.. unless your on a MAC, and then I have no clue.

I have no problem with OS X on any kind of computer. The problem is QOS. Apple doesn't want to support all of the hardware configurations out their. So to prevent Joe Blow from installing OS X, it not knowing how to render open GL on his video card, and him believing that the OS sucks, they prevent that kind of release.

I do know how to get to most of the configuration options the GUI way. I prefer the terminal. Pop quiz if you can tell me how to list all files any given application has open (I do know the answer)

OS X has a lot in common with it's UNIX and LINUX counter parts. All of the core system calls are POSIX. Which is why it is popular with developers. Their are differences in how memory allocation works (the paging system is different). Principally the difference is that OS X is one of a few market worthy micro kernel designs. Micro kernels rock, take an OS course about it.

That's all I've got. If you don't have anything to contribute to the topic, DON'T POST!

Peace

I dunno your pretty sexy with all that geek talk

*rowr*

Yea us geeks pretty well accept the fact that we are doomed, but we will inherit the earth. And from what I've seen in our College courses JTB, Kirk, Colin and Me are probably the most out going of the bunch.

EDIT: PS: At least we've touched boobs...*cough*ecnarf*cough*

Edited by Azalroth

Now now, no need to lay into Ecnarf. He's ok in my books. Now Kirbenvost, feel free to tear him apart.

EDIT - And it's not a matter of outgoing, as much as it's a matter of having social skills.

Edited by Spritzup

Whats so bad about kirbenvost? Ecnarf is always given me a hard time so I just return it...I don't actually have anything against him, he's pretty cool...for a youngin.

I agree with the edit, didn't use the right term I guess.

I dunno your pretty sexy with all that geek talk

*rowr*

Yea us geeks pretty well accept the fact that we are doomed, but we will inherit the earth. And from what I've seen in our College courses JTB, Kirk, Colin and Me are probably the most out going of the bunch.

EDIT: PS: At least we've touched boobs...*cough*ecnarf*cough*

Just you wait, you lousy sonofabitch.

And I'm not in the least a computer geek. I'm rather clueless when it comes to the inner working of computers.

I wouldn't really consider myself a geek.. I'm just good at what I do. it's not like I spend every waking moment playing DND or something.. LoL.. I have a life and enjoy not being infront of a computer all day espically after a day's work of tech support