Spritzup

If Canada Was Invaded

If Canada Was Invaded, Would You Take Up Arms To Defend Her?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If Canada Was Invaded, Would You Take Up Arms To Defend Her?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Know

Just a spinoff of the WW3 thread, seeing if peoples opinions change when our homes are threatened. It's much easier to be indifferent and take the moral high ground when you've got an ocean seperating you from the conflict.

Oh, and to make this more intersting, assume that it's the US invading us, and we can't expect any help from our ally's.

Question: Wouldn't us v. the U.S. be a slightly one-sided battle?

I'd join the army, of course, but not in a combat role. I'm not built for combat, and I'm glad that there are other people who are.

To a degree. Man for man our army is much better trained. Also we our intelligence gathering tends to be better. With the Americans sharing so much with us, we would know alot about there abilities. If we fought a guerilla type war, we could do some serious damage to the american war machine.

Having said all that, the poll is just hypothetical.

well, look at vietnam. america got it's ass kicked cause they could break the vietnamese heart. the vietnamese keep on fighting cause they wanted to win against the foreign invaders. same with the afganies during the 1980's against the soviet union. it all depends on who you are up against.

Sure why the hell not, as much as I don't like the idea of fightin for the masters of the Panoptic society we live in it might be fun shootin some yanks.

Besides our army is better trained because we have to get used to shooting with shitty weapons before upgrading to something better.

I agree that if we were to use guerilla warfare we would kick some serious ass. If that doesn't work we'll give them a truce, have a few drinks with them and let them get drunk off of our more alcoholic beers and then kick some serious ass.

back on like sept. 14th 2001, a friend i met freshman year told me that if a nuclear weapon went off inside the united state, mexico and canada would be forced to become part of the united states.

and i was thinking, I know a lot of canadians that would fight to the death to avoid being considered an American.

i don't know if that fits in with the topic, i just thought i would share.

Edited by sodamntired

Erik, we have the same ideas but I'd do that against any invading army.

Same man, if it was U.S or those dirty Russians lol jk, id do it, really any country that tried invadeing Canada I would form the miltia. lol .. thinking about that, it kinda makes me sound like a hick, but im really not, just a militant anarchist i guess lol ;)

sodamntired do you mean that the U.S would try and force us? I am not entirely sure that would happen, or who would force us, but i guess it's just as likely as the U.S. invading us. They already own us economically ( just about ) they no longer need to own geographically other countries, if they control them economically and geo-politcally.

well, look at vietnam. america got it's ass kicked cause they could break the vietnamese heart. the vietnamese keep on fighting cause they wanted to win against the foreign invaders. same with the afganies during the 1980's against the soviet union. it all depends on who you are up against.

Well, the NVA used their civialian support very effectively. The people basically formed their supply lines, and would carry supplies themselves through jungles, and they intalled rope bridges to cross rivers just beneath the water surface to confuse the Americans. I don't see how that would translate so well to Canada.

Although if the Americans convert to ACU before they invade, they wouldn't stand a chance. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Actually the US had a fully laid out military strategem to invade Canada, probably still do. As far as anti-american sentiment, I think it comes from the fact that as a whole you're percieved as being extremely cocky, and bully like. Keep in mind that this is how American society is percieved, not how each individual is (as can be seen by the Americans on the Bored). This anti-american sentiment is common all around the world right now, you're own state department is cautioning americans on how to act when over-sea's.

Yeah, I know that the entire world percieves the U.S. as one big screw up of a nation, but most citizens of the U.S. generally make decisions based on bettering the country and the world. Right now, I don't think many people should carry anger towards American citizens, as we have no control over our country due to our dumb fuck president, Mr. George Dubya Bush. I think most people disagree with everything he has ever done, I do at least. Alot of Americans dislike their own government because nothing can get done due to all the corruption and beaurocracy.

Were it not for the fact that George Bush managed to win the popular vote in 2004, I'd believe you.

Also keep in mind that Americans are perhaps some of the most insular and nationalistic people on the planet. I know that there are hundreds of millions of people not like that, but I honestly think that you'd have a hard time finding a country more in love with itself than the U.S.

Question: Wouldn't us v. the U.S. be a slightly one-sided battle?

I'd join the army, of course, but not in a combat role. I'm not built for combat, and I'm glad that there are other people who are.

hey if you can hold a gun & have one good eye then most anyone can fight.

i would defend my country depending upon the circumstances. the fact that it would be against the americans isn't enough to motivate me, despite my feelings toward that country's foreign policy and policies in general.

if for some reason, for the sake of the arguement... i felt that canada was actually out of line in something they did or were doing, i would not fight for this country. i would only fight for this country if i agreed with the reasons for doing so. and like others have said, i might not enlist, but i would certainly help out in other ways.

I don't even know if it's the whole cocky thing that bugs me. I am by no means anti-american (I'm not anti anyone as I believe all people are equal) but I am irritated with how the american media portrays Canadians. people are so misunderstood. I saw on the daily show a few weeks back a report about minute men guarding the northern border from Canadians that want to jump into the states and bring along their diseases (such as leperosy)I'd be more likely to be more respectful towards americans if everytime I'm in a chat room I didn't have to deal with "so your canadian? whats that all aboot?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOLOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

silentshadow, the fact that George Bush is still in power despite most of the country not likeing him ( approval rating in the low 30% i think?) is a sentiment to the limitations of the current republic. It's unfortunate that we're all very much controlled by very authoritarian structures and things are done in the name of "Americans" when it has nothing to due with the population. But again, the anti-American sentiment i think is also due to Canada's own image problem of basically not wanting to be perceived as Americans. Canada an identity problem, it's mostly based on trying to distinguish ourself from Americans, which can be annoying at the best of times. I think that may have to do with the anti-American sentiment, but of course, also, you're country around the world is looked on as an elephant in a glass shop lumbering around destroying everything it sees. The U.S. has been in a current state of conflict basically since WW2. That leaves a bad impression.