Blender

Second Round Of Last Of The Ghetto Astranauts

38 members have voted

1. 1. Second Round Of Last Of The Ghetto Astranauts

• Shes got a new disguise
    • native son

Guest jsunC
They're both great tunes, but I voted Native Son just because I'm pretty sure New Disguise is probably gonna win in a landslide.

my thoughts exactly

"She's got a new disguise" is one of my fav's off Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, as well as one of my fav's in general. I'd love to hear Matt sing that song on his upcoming acoustic shows (especially in Victoria, since that's the show I'll be attending). Although there's a certain simplicity to the song, I think it's one of the most emotion-evoking songs. I would love to know the story behind the song.

I like the drumming in both. In fact, when I think about it, the drumming in his old demos (Parable, Last of the Ghetto Astronauts, Endsong) is awesome, the drumming on LotGA is great (Haven't Slept in Years, New Disguise, Native Son), and from there it gets pretty bland, with a few notable exceptions (like the slightly funky beat in Rorschach Test, Tripoli, etc).

Hahahaha why yes I am.

Me when I first started playing 2 years ago:

drummingitup-1.jpg

Edit: That's my dad's kit, and hokly shit you should see it now. We've collectively sunk probably three thousand dollars into it since that picture. Cymbals everywhere, double kick, clutch, etc etc. It's a shame I'm hardly ever there to play.

Edited by Prometheon

Wow, that sounds really cool. I wish my dad and I had something like that in common but it's alright. I want to learn guitar sometime, I guess I just keep making up the excuse that I don't have the time. However I do plan on going to music school.

So is your dad in a band?

He played in a bunch of rock bands on and off for pretty much my entire childhood as a guitarist. He was SO friggin good. About 3 or 4 years ago he bought a drum kit because he thought it'd be fun, and now he's amazing at that as well. It pisses me off to no end, because he's one of those 'naturally musical' people who can just sit down with an instrument and be amazing at it from the get-go.

None of the bands he was in ever made it 'big', but I remember one year there was this 'homegrown heroes' radio contest thing, where the top 10 bands from Ontario or whatever would get record contracts and stuff, and his band at the time was number eleven. It sucked.

Oh damn, eleven! So close but so far... That's really cool about your dad, and that might bug me too, but then I might be one of those people... I seem to have some talent in picking up rythm and melodies a bit.

One time I was at a friend's house party and we all just started jamming on instruments, it was so fun, and I just picked up some bongos and started making a beat, and this one guy told me he could tell right away I'm into music because of how easily I caught on to the rythm. I've taught myself a couple melodies on piano by ear. I tend to listen to a lot of the small details in music as well, I think I learned that when I was writing my own stuff.

But yeah, a musical dad. That is really cool.

Edited by kirbenvost