zenkey

New (or Old) Directions For Good's Music

So, with the recent upheavals in Good's life and a self proclaimed year that is "perhaps the worst of my life", we have to wonder what this means for Good's music.

For those who favored Matthew Good Band's style of aggressive rock and moody ballads, this could be a good thing. We all know that Good's misery translated into great melodies and lyrics during this period. Good may be inspired by his current misfortunes and perhaps we will hear more personal songs once again instead of the political saturation of his recent works.

Though I personally love the newer Good tunes, I would also love for the music to become more intimate again.

However, worst case scenario in the "worst of my life" year that Good has been having: he quits music altogether. Let's hope it doesn't get that far.

Also: Please refrain from discussion or speculation on what has made this year such a trying one for Good, as this is a music forum and any personal discussion of Matthew Good on the Matthew Good board is prohibited.

I think speculation about this is rather pointless. We'll have to just wait and see what he comes up. About the quitting music business altogether part, I highly doubt that. Music is a way of life for that kind of people.

Why not speculate? Obviously when people go through hard times in their lives, they need a place to turn to, and I think Matt turns to his music.

I hope it gives Matt more inspiration to write fabulous songs. I don't really care if he goes back to the old style or if he goes into something completely different. It'll be interesting to see what he does either way.

Edited by soundless_space

Maybe this is just wishful thinking but I think 2007 and onwards might be the second coming of Matt. If instability in Matt's personal life gave us Avalanche, I can only imagine what the "worst year" of his life is gonna create.

Not be insensitive towards his problems but instability has created some of Music's most difinitive work. Avalanche being one of them. I still feel for the guy though.

Edited by TheSubliminalKid

RICO RICO!!

People in front or were they beside me ;) of me at the Victoria show kept on screaming "PLAY RICO!"...

hahahaaha

that happens a lot in Winnipeg. my favorite was when he said

Matt- "Are you screaming "Play Rico?""

Crowd screams "play Rico" again

Matt- "Why the fuck would you want me to play Rico? Listen... if you wanna go home and and damage your hearing by listening to that crap, be my guest, but I'm not abou tto vaste my voice singing it"

it's a shame though because I actually like Rico... even though everybody else hates it

I think speculation about this is rather pointless. We'll have to just wait and see what he comes up. About the quitting music business altogether part, I highly doubt that. Music is a way of life for that kind of people.

i agree.

with history as my witness, this isnt the first "worst of my life" that matt's gone through and that we've been around to hear about and i doubt it will be the last. it will certainly affect his music, much like anything else he goes through on a daily basis.

True enough, Matt has had many "worst years" but when you think about it, that makes this year worse than all those previous worst years. It's like in Office Space where he's talking to the shrink and says how every day is worse than the previous day so every time you see him, it is the worst day oof his life, that's how years work for Matt I think. it's a shame.

It was suggested that, perhaps, we'll get more of the introspective Good than the new, political Good, but I postulate a third option: perhaps both.

Some of the best music in the last seventy years has come out of difficult personal experience (one could easily stretch that to 'ever,' but my examples won't brush with Brahms, quite). Just look at all of Floyd's material inspired by Syd, or at Cash's darkness. Neil Young couldn't have written 'Tonight's The Night' if his buddies hadn't been addicted to lots and lots and lots of drugs (to say nothing of 'The Needle and the Damage Done').

But, then, perhaps it will also make him angry: we could get his heroes colliding -- Dylan meets Floyd: 'Masters of War' meets 'Brain Damage,' one can imagine.

Maybe not in a single song, mind you ... but this man has a good concept album in him, somewhere (or, arguably, more), so here's hoping that this ends well.

i like matt's music about his life more then politics because politics are a hobby. his life is very direct, his emotions are effected resulting in music that come from his heart and not his head. politics effect everyone but politics are not as personal as a broken heart, sadness or anger etc.. also politics have become to trendy.

Also: Please refrain from discussion or speculation on what has made this year such a trying one for Good, as this is a music forum and any personal discussion of Matthew Good on the Matthew Good board is prohibited.

no one said personal discussion of matt was PROHIBITED, you fucking ass. if you want to be a dick, you can do it somewhere else.

Y'all are fucking vultures.

Chill out, man.

I certainly don't think anyone here would have ill wishes toward the guy, but it begs the question of what changes will take place after he says he's been having a real hard time.

It's not like it was wrong to wonder what the Travelling Wilburys would sound like when Roy Orbison died (or, now, George Harrison) -- it's merely innocent curiosity. When James Taylor got out of rehab, and released a new LP, I'm sure everyone speculated about what it would sound like.

Vulture-like would be if we hoped more bad things happened, so that he'd be more 'inspired' by rough times. No one here is doing that.

no one said personal discussion of matt was PROHIBITED, you fucking ass. if you want to be a dick, you can do it somewhere else.

Posted: Jul 30 2006, 10:06 PM

The MG section is in the MUSIC section, let's keep it at that.

edit: To clarify a bit, discussion on his private life shouldn't be showing up on this forum. All things music related, concerts, videos, etc are fine.

Thank you for your cooperation.

i'm a whiny little bitch boy who can't learn when to keep my fingers quiet.

Edited by mrs jesus

it is slightly *lame* to be wondering in what direction his career/music will go whilst he is at his worst...

he is an artist...just hope to hell he doesnt retire...and takes up knitting b/c THAT would suck donkey balls.

so like i said, jinkies, the word 'prohibited' wasn't used in your point of reference. if you'd like to discuss things that anton doesn't want discussed on the board HE PAYS FOR, you are free to make your own messageboard.

;)