sodamntired

So My Sister Has A New Boyfriend And...

he strikes me as a guy who enjoys awesome music.

I have already introduced him to The (International) Noise Conspiracy. He's liked it. I have also told him about Matthew Good Band and he has said that he wants to hear what they sound like.

So the question I pose to you is what would be a great first song for someone to hear by the MGB and have them say, "damn, that's so cool"

I've been listening to Audio Of Being a lot so I'm thinking either Man Of Action, Under the Influence or the Workers Sing A Song Of Mass Protest.

Any other suggestions?

I should also add that he saw my MGB shirt (the gun to the head one) and he really dug the text on the back...you know, the whole "god lives in foxholes....."

Edited by sodamntired

Guest apsham

I was really into making this one guy like Matthew Good once, so I started the Mattgoodsongarchive on GMail and uploaded songs to it, I started with 21st Century Living because those are the lyrics he first saw, but moved on to The Future Is X-Rated, Indestructable, Hello Time Bomb, Weapon and While We Were Hunting Rabbits... from there on, it was just whatever.

Guest apsham

I say something fast initially, and when he's ready to really appreciate Matthew Good, that's a good time for Weapon and Near Fantastica.

yea weapon or suburbia or man of action or giant or near fantastica

but mostly weapon

I think you have to be a bigger fan to appreciate a song like near fantastica... start him out with a song like hello time bomb or everything is automatic

i'll admit, when i first saw the title of this thread, i thought your sister was getting boned by matt.

I have to admit that thought also entered my mind

i'll make sure to tell my sister's boyfriend about that before i play him a matt song.

"oh yeah, these people on this board said you would like this one. they also thought that my sister/your girlfriend was boning the guy you are about to hear"

that would be fresh, yo.

My suggestion would be to simply hand him Avalanche. The CD is brilliant.

As for choosing from AoB, I'd go with.... Ummmmm..... Man of Action, or Sort and/or Protest Song, then move to Truffle pigs and Fall of Man.

I've introduced MG to quite a few people. Once I introduced MG to this asian kid that everyone thought to be a weirdo, and he loved it, and turned out to be a really cool and bloody hilarious guy that's one of my best friends to date.

Off of AoB, Tripoli for sure. There's absolutely no question. Sure, Avalanche and Rabbits are amazing, but they are long and intimidating. Tripoli is a medium length song, it's catchy, it's good.

I'd honestly start with Hello Time Bomb though, seriously. It's a very accessible tune that most people seem to like.

I hate to agree with most people by suggesting to stay clear of the more intense tunes til he's hooked but I have to... I'd suggest songs like Load Me Up, Everything is Automatic, Indestructible and Alert Status Red to start and then Apparitions or Strange Days and then go with your own favorites.