mikeymackinon

Support Matt Good

a long time ago in the underdog days the mgb web site was trying to start a campaign. the biases was to promote the band. it had a picture uncle sam pointing outwards saying its up to you! we need to start the campaign again. email ppl call ppl write to ppl talk about mg and put him back on the map. go to other bands web site forms and talk about mg and promote him. tell one person a day to check out mg. call radio station or email them and request mg. call or email local college/uni to play mg on the schools radio station. even try this in the US, send them a sample song (near fantastica). Also go out and buy a second copy of matt's cds. You can never have enough, matt goes well for any occasion.

Edited by mikeymackinon

Even though he may not have a new record out yet, I think there is still plenty of songs to choose from that the public isn't really aware of. I'm all for promoting Matt right now in any way we can. Even if you only take the time to request one MG song a day for a radio station, that one song may open the eyes of someone to investigate Matt Good and that will without a doubt lead to a new fan.

who cares if anyone else likes matt.

if matt wanted to be popular he'd write more pop songs which he's totally capable of.

i agree

matt could all of canada and america to support him if he wanted to by pulling a nickelback and having cheasy pop songs to go to #1, but he'd rather have his dignity

you know what it is that i just realized...I mean I love having him on the d/l so to speak..but for me..I want to see him succeed and make alot of money. Thats the only reason I promote him. Regardless of if he wants it or not, i know best.

I think that if Matt Good was capable of chart toppers in the U.S., he'd write them, but he's not. Beyond that, I think he's well past his prime and without the band he's not what he was because the band was the band.

DISAGREE. AND YOUR DUMB SO THERE

I think that if Matt Good was capable of chart toppers in the U.S., he'd write them, but he's not. Beyond that, I think he's well past his prime and without the band he's not what he was because the band was the band.

DISAGREE. AND YOUR DUMB SO THERE

fuck off.

who cares if anyone else likes matt.

if matt wanted to be popular he'd write more pop songs which he's totally capable of.

for the most part, matt does write pop songs. i dont understand where you got the idea that he doesn't.

He is still capable of writing #1 singles, but as he's stated several times, he's no longer interested in "playing the radio game" especially at the age of 35. He has said that he was happiest when he was indie (LOTGA era), unknown, and didn't have to give in to major label demands.

On another note, Hedley did once again namedrop the Matthew Good Band on MuchMusic, keeping with the theme of the thread.

for the most part, matt does write pop songs. i dont understand where you got the idea that he doesn't.

WLRRR is pop but it's anything but popular. Interest in Matt's music has declined with each album after BM. He's not stupid. he knows what the formula is. Hire a dave, write alternative rock songs about the future, wear a mask in a video with random phrases floating around and you'll sell more albums.

I could not agree more.

this deserves an

AMEN !

WLRRR is pop but it's anything but popular. Interest in Matt's music has declined with each album after BM. He's not stupid. he knows what the formula is. Hire a dave, write alternative rock songs about the future, wear a mask in a video with random phrases floating around and you'll sell more albums.

If him and Dave Genn still got along, he probably would have still declined in popularity, if you really think about it how many bands that were popular in '99 are still popular now? Our Lady Peace, Barenaked Ladies, and was Nickleback popular then? I thought it was a couple years later... But beyond that not too bands last too long. However, that doesn't really detract from the idea if he could he would. His singles are still poppy enough, but perhaps that's the problem. How many people probably bought Beautiful Midnight because of the singles, but didn't really like the rest of the album? I know of a few people. It happens, people don't generally keep buying though because they like the single after a while either though.

I kinda like keeping Matt "low key", it is finally nice to have a person/band I can finally call my own, without the teenyboppers annoying me all the time. No one that I work with or my family has any idea who Matt is, and I like that.

I disagree. It's an elitist attitude that I think is quite immature. While the people who buy the albums solely for the singles are annoying as hell, they're a far cry from people who you turn on to his music by showing them his best songs. I played my ex Advertising on Police Cars and got her hooked immediately. My grandma likes Avalanche, and my dad enjoys WLR&RR. It's these kinds of people who can get to enjoy the music for what it is, and it feels good to turn people on to your favourite musicians. Personally, when I find out about a great new band, I can't wait to share it with my friends.

I think we can both agree on the fact that Matt makes great music, and furthermore that his music deserves a far higher scale of recognition than it currently gets. The same can be said for hundreds of other artists, and I think that as fans of his, we should spread his music and increase the number of people who can enjoy it. Spread the "goodness" (yeah, I'm cool. I made a pun).

I know, he likes being a low-key guy and not having to deal with all the label and popular pressures, but I'm sure that doesn't mean he doesn't want people to not listen to his music. It feels good to know that people are enjoying what you create. I know this firsthand, and judging from what I've read and heard, so does Matt. Granted, not everyone will like his music, but even if only one person takes an interest, then the word is still getting out and a fantastic musician is getting the recognition he deserves.

PS. I've decided to refer to Matt's music as "thinking man's rock". Just felt you all needed to know that.

Edited by no yu begin wher i end

I've supported Matt Good since I first saw The Future is X-Rated on T.V several years ago and then got one of his albums...after seeing the message he likes to get across in his music and what he does to avoid being just another pop artist that does dumb music, I've promoted him to my friends. Although, I'm one of the only people I know who KNOWS Matt Good but it seems like he has a strong fan base.

I think the quality of the music has probably done more for him than just having high sellers then fading away.

And as another poster pointed out, Our Lady Peace and other similar bands were awesome for a few years but faded away. (I stopped listening to them after they released that bizarre and uncharacteristic album a few years ago..)

Matt Good's done very well IMO in the past 10 years.

I'd donate/pay/buy Matt Good tracks, albums and videos before I'd do so for the other 'mindless' "artists".

As for longevity of an artist, I'd love to see Matt Good continue making records but generally, it gets a little difficult after so long. Look at the artists who continually try to make albums year after years for decades. I won't name any but I wish some of them would move on before they start making music from hospital beds and in walkers ;)

I see myself as an avid Matt Good supporter for many years to come.

Edited by ReaperACI