ecnarf

For The College Bound

It seems there's quite a few NF'ers who are entering their first year of college this year. I'm leaving for UWO in two weeks and am woefully underprepared for it. I need to increase the amount of clothes I own exponentially and buy a bunch of stuff that will make living easier. I've already got some basic and fairly obvious stuff - a laptop, a lock for said laptop, minifridge, powerbar, what have you. But I have a feeling that there's a bunch of obvious stuff I haven't got that will come back and really bite me in the ass.

Anyways, to the point...

1. Any university-educated NF'ers who have useful advice about college and dorm life in general, please chime in with advice.

2. Any college-bound NF'ers who are as lost as me... eh. If you've any useful discoveries, please share them.

Just go through everything and look at things that you may need while at College/University. The small things are what you'll wish you remembered about, like bathroom supplies (ie. plunger, shit tickets, air fresheners, towels, cleaners, etc) and the small stuff for a kitchen (if you have one) like pots and pans and the like.

Take lots of pictures. Me and my room mate just went through some of the pictures that we have from a couple years ago...funny shit. Take lots of them, or get them from people who take lots of them. Either way it's a great thing to have.

Enjoy yourself, keep an open door policy, be relaxed and easy going as possible. Mainly, just have fun man.

If you have a fridge, go grocery shopping as much as possible and cook your own food as much as possible. Residence food from cafes are NOT healthy in the least, they suck ass and are always over priced. Oh and of course, be prepared for the dreaded 3am fire alarms from drunkin morons that don't know how to fucking cook. Ugh...idiots burning poptarts in a microwave.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Bring things you can't get away from home, like pictures or other things that are special to you. You'll accumulate so much shit over the year that you won't have anywhere to put anything...or maybe it was just me. I'm a pack rat.

Be friendly. Drink plenty. Study as harder than you party, but party hard anyway. Keep your door open and play your music loud.

Living in residence is pretty much all about meeting new people. It's fun, but don't sleep with everyone that's willing.

...not a good policy.

I don't know what first residence is like for the rest of the world but at the U of Calgary we did not have kitchens and so I'll share some wisdom for living in ghetto residences:

* Flip Flops are a must unless you want foot diseases or something.

* There's a clear blue electric pot that you can buy from Walmart that cooks Kraft Dinner beautifully. It also cooks soup, eggs or just boils water for coffee etc.. When you are without a kitchen it is a lifesaver

* Dish soap and a dish rag plus a set of dishes. Stealing dishes from the cafeteria also works. In fact, smuggle as much free shit from the cafeteria as you can get away with. I've lived off of free peanut butter packets before and so can you.

* A nice thick foamy for the rubber covered jail bed.

* Air fresheners

* Decent computer speakers are essential to any good res party.

oh, university. i need to go shopping. i have the clothes thing covered, though. i don't know where i'm going to put them all. just try to remember everything you can. if you forget somehting, go out and buy it. it's not like wal-marts stop existing once you enter post-secondary education.

So tell me people, what are you going to study? And how far from home is your school?

Chemistry and three hours. But what I want to do is switch to a pharmacy program after a year, which would be in Toronto.

Anyways, I'm still confused as to the policy about electrical devices... stuff like hotplates and kettles and stuff. I should be able to use them in common areas, but not in my room. This is not good. How am I going to make myself some espresso with dozens of caffeine-addicted college students around? It'll be tricky. But I'll need a hotplate or something like that.

you could just buy expresso like everyone else.

and i don't know too many young adults that really want expresso that bad. i love anything coffee flavoured, but me and expresso have problems. and i don't know about your school but at mine, there are like 5 tim hortons on campus.

Edited by Lauren

I just wrapped up my 4 years last week, but here's some advice for residence:

1) always keep your door open and play wicked songs from the 90s... my roommate and I were the most popular ones on the floor because we did that, and everyone wants to meet you. Stupid, but true.

2) get the smallest meal plan possible... cooking your own food is the best way to go, but if you have a test the next day, thats the last thing you'll want to do. Get a few $100s on your card.

3) stock up with beer when u first move in/your parents are around with a car. I guess that doesn't work since u guys are 18... but if your parents are open-minded, get a few cases... walking from the beer store to campus with a 24 on your shoulder is a bitch.

4) the 3am fire alarm is the worst part of university - it happened to me 5-6 times in first year. Some drunk ass will pull it and think its funny...meanwhile if youre not drunk and its -30 outside, you'll be incredibly pissed.

5) Remember, there is work to be done too, and it's a bitch - my marks in first year were in the C range, compared to high B/low A in high school. Expect a drop and don't be pissed about it. It happens.

Otherwise enjoy yourself... first year was the best time of my life, but I'm not sure what it's like now with everyone being 18. Try to remember to eat healthier stuff (the frosh 15 is true for most people in their first years), and it's ok to skip class as long as you can get the notes from someone. I wanna hear stories about the nastiest, most disease-ridden whores and how each and everyone of you has slept with 'em. That's what university is all about.

you could just buy expresso like everyone else.

and i don't know too many young adults that really want expresso that bad. i love anything coffee flavoured, but me and expresso have problems. and i don't know about your school but at mine, there are like 5 tim hortons on campus.

First of all, it is espresso, NOT expresso.

Secondly, buying it? Yeah, right. I'm not going to spend three bucks for one ounce of liquid made from seventeen cents worth of beans.

Lastly, espresso gives you a serious jolt. If you're tired and you're studying, espresso wakes you up far better than a regular cup of coffee. Only wimps and girls don't like espresso.

Adam, you are THE man! Lol ;) Espresso isn't tasty, I don't get why people drink it. Just like I don't get why people smoke or drink hard liquer.

But anyway, from all of your dorm stories and regulations, all I have to say is: I'm so happy I'll be living in an apartment and not a dorm. It sounds like Hell. But it's an exprience I guess, kind of like the army is here when you're not a combat soldier.

And I just realized something, I'm older than most people here, that makes me sad :angry:

Edited by Designate

I'm a sociology major (contemplating a psychology minor) and my university is, well, about an 8ish hour plane ride away?

Wow. I can't believe I forgot about the shower shoes.

One time I saw a girl walking around barefoot in the washroom, post-Halloween party. It made me want to hurl.

i share a bathroom with 3 other girls. yaaaay!

adam, i know i'm a wimp and/or a girl. and i know it's espresso. sometimes my brain doesn't work.

chris cringle, it is actually impossible for me to be a physicist. i barely passed grade 10 science because of physics and chemistry. the transcripts conveniently living beside me says i got a 57.

Wow, lots of great advice folks

As for the drinking of alcohol not for the taste? Pfft speak for yourself, if you don't enjoy the taste you shouldn't be drinking it.

Completely agree with the Residence Food...it blows and they overcharge you at every pass they can. Try to cook as much food for yourself as possible. And yes get one of those clear blue pasta cookers, they rock. I never had one but we had community kitchens to cook in...sucks though when you have to walk with pots and pans and everything you need to the kitchen and then cook it for like an hour and have to carry it ALL back again.

Laundry rooms, I surprised that no one has mentioned this one. It is ok to leave your clothes unattended if you wish, just be forewarned that if your not there on time your clothes could end up on the floor...or in the lost and found, it happens. You MUST be on time for that stuff.

Tim Hortons will be your friend, especially when the fire alarm goes off at 3am. McDicks will also be a popular spot, unfortunately, when your drinking...it's a tradition to walk through the drive through whent he inside is closed. Also in Ottawa especially Denny's Breakfest House is the best place to go the next morning after a night of drinking...even if it is 5pm you can still have breakfest. It's also a good place to study over night because of the free refills on coffee...from what I've heard they don't mind if students are there all night studying as it would suck to walk back to Residence and your respective homes at 4am.

Espresso....does NOT make you cool. Quit trying. When it comes to a choice of liquids to drink, it's gonna be alcohol based....not caffeine based.

Cool slippers are a great ice breaker when meeting new people, that and if you have a alcoholic drink in your hand thats a good way to go too. Get as much groceries as you can, if you can, when your rents are up because it sucks balls when you have to carry it...that goes for alcohol trips too.

One last thing, Residence beds aren't that great....just remember other people have "slept" in these too...bring something to cover it (Featherbed, matress topper...etc) to make it comfortable. And music is key, try to find a way to snag shared music over the network...if ya need help I've got an awesome tool for that.

Cheers....I'm sure I'll think of something later