oneeighty

The "where-do-we-go-from-here?" Thread

I'm not one of those fans who's been around since day one, but owning all of his albums today and trying to convert ignorant Irish ears, I suppose I would call myself a reasonable fan of Good's. However, I find it slightly unnerving that I'm beginning to feel anxious about what is to come from him, musically.

I would be of the opinion that his best work was with the Band, culminating in the beautiful Audio of Being release. Since then - I don't know - Good's music seems to lack that "X" factor that previous releases had in such abundance. My fears initially began when I found myself skipping tracks off Avalanche - something I had never done with an MGB record. When it came to the Band, it never crossed my mind to skip a track, and it was therefore no surprise to have a new favourite song almost every other week.

Then came along White Light Rock & Roll Review, and I found myself unable to come to grips with what I was presented with. No, I certainly didn't feel the glow of commerce. The sound was quite repetitive; the music basic at best. Even the lyrics, something I have always relied on Good to deliver, were toned-down and quite bland. I rarely listen to the disc.

It begs the question; does Good need the Band? Perhaps they - creatively - complimented each other, or maybe the Band simply made Good look better than he actually is.

Good commented in 2003 that Avalanche was everything he wanted Audio of Being to be. I, for one, am delighted that this did not happen.

I recently read in one of his tiresome blogs that he feels he has written some of his best material in the past few months. If he is referring to the likes of "She's In It For The Money" and/or "If I Was A Tidal Wave", I am not looking forward to his next release, whenever that might be. In fact, since White Light, the only two 'demos' I have enjoyed have been "Agoraphobe" and "Seriously Serious". Everything else is just bland and unadventurous.

Naturally, of this is my own opinion. But I'm wondering, are there any Matthew Good fans on this forum who feel similarly?

not this kid. i'm also a late comer to matthew good. i never got into him until in between avalanche and white light. avalanche is an awesome album for its grand scale. white light is an awesome, stripped down rock n roll album. his lyrics haven't lost any punch for me from album to album (i've 'blown up' every one of them except ghetto astronauts). like you said, it's just a matter of opinion. as for future releases...whatever floats his boat. if i don't like it, i won't listen to it.

I don't completely disagree with you on some points (because I started listening to Matt when he was with the band), but I don't think his best stuff was only with the band.

I loved White Light Rock and Roll Review (and Avalanche is probably one of my top picks for Matt's albums in general), and I'm extremely excited to see what Matt comes up with next, no matter what it is. I love "She's in it For the Money," "Boy Comes Home," and a bunch of the newer stuff he has written. When Matt writes on his blog about how his opinion is that this is the best material he's written, I have to agree with him.

I don't think Matt needs a band. To look or sound good. Perhaps I'm extremely biased or something, but I don't think Matt's stuff without the band is as bad as some people make it out to be.

P.S. What makes you say the lyrics on WLRRR are bland?

Edited by soundless_space

I read all that in an irish accent...It basically comes down to personal preference.In my opinion Avalanche is one of the best cds I have ever heard. Avalanche was the cd that really really got me into Matt Good.

WLRR was a medicore sounding cd to me..but then again there are people who love that cd.

Regardless I am looking forward to whatever Matt puts out.

Personally, and again, this is purely opinion,

I feel like maybe Matt's finally getting around to opening up musically, into the person he really wanted to be.

I, too, am a "n00b" fan, but when I listen to the band stuff (and of course, there are always those exceptions), I find that it's done a really good job at catering to the strong rock-out crowd, whereas with the Matt Good stuff, it's just...a lot more honest sounding? I don't know if that makes sense.

Instead of just purely rock-out stuff, you hear a lot more country sounds. Folkish sounds. and, what I think, are purer vocals. And isn't that where he started to begin with?

I'm looking forward to seeing what he's going to come out with next. He's grown a lot as a person and a musician, I think, and I always look forward to the intimacy he allows us to be privvy to, in his music.

I might be in the minority, but I honestly think Audio of Being is the worst CD that Matt or the band have put out. Don't get me wrong, it is a good CD, but compared to the others, it simple lacks. While there is excellent songs on there, Man of Action, Tripoli and Advertising on Police Cars, the whole CD didn't flow for me. Of couse there were a couple of lacking tracks on WLRRR, I found it to be, overall, better. And, Avalanche is pure genius! I'm excited for his new music, as I've always been. And, while some CD's aren't as good as others, they are all, in my opinion, better then anything else out there.

Recent tracks that are amazing: Black Helicopter, Can't Get Shot in the Back, Breath of a Nation...just to name a few. If this is the quality of upcoming songs, I'm psyched.

There should be a category for you people...there's like one topic a week about this now...

Right. Last one I found went off-topic midway through and lost steam, dated about three weeks ago. I hope "us people" don't get on your nerves.

and i dont like the use of Good, instead of Matt.

I mean no offence. Rather, I don't know the man from Pat, nor am I going to pretend that I do; referring to him as Matt might make it seem like I am. Call me pernickety.

Edited by oneeighty

WLRRR wasn't one of my fav albums on the whole. But I like that he stripped the band down, so the songs would sound the same (or better) live. I think it shows that he is willing to try new things. Less studio cut, more real. But maybe that's just me...

I mean no offence. Rather, I don't know the man from Pat, nor am I going to pretend that I do; referring to him as Matt might make it seem like I am. Call me pernickety.

i am not offended in any way, but i just thought it was annoying. because i have never seen Good capitalized in the middle of a sentence, i was thinking about stupid english.

but i am glad u are a good fan. (see no capitals, not Matt Good, but good)

I think maybe why a lot of people aren't really digging the new tracks is because of how they were debuted, which was, of course, solo acoustic, but that's probably the only reason why they are solo acoustic. I'm pretty sure that he'd fill them out somehow, with a band or what have you. His new songs have some asolutely killer lyrics and melodies, so really I think all your "fears" are for naught.

I think that commercially matt has hit his high point, and he knows this, because won't write self-indulgent hits anymore...finally weeding out his fanbase....but at the same time, I feel that there are a lot of people that just go along with it, hoping that he'll pump out another beautiful midnight...but their hopes are fading fast, and they're abandoning matt as a musician totally

Well, those fans that jumped on the bandwagon because it was trendy, should finally jump off. When Beautiful Midnight came out, people started liking Matt Good because it was 'cool'. And, now that he's not making huge hits anymore, they say he's lost his mojo. What a load of crap. And, this is not in reply to anyone on here, just a comment on some of his fans in general.

pernickety

ha ha! I like that.

I've listened to Matt since the very beginning. I think that music was right for it's time, and for the age he was then.

I can understand the idea that the dynamic between the band members may have brought some inspiration Matt wouldn't have had solo; but the SONGS were written by him. It doesn't matter who is around, if his style of writing (and taste in music) has completely changed.

Well, those fans that jumped on the bandwagon because it was trendy, should finally jump off. When Beautiful Midnight came out, people started liking Matt Good because it was 'cool'. And, now that he's not making huge hits anymore, they say he's lost his mojo. What a load of crap. And, this is not in reply to anyone on here, just a comment on some of his fans in general.

Beautiful midnight was the album that set me on matt. but I didn't jump of this "bandwagen" after it got unpopular... I'm still a huge fan and have his discography

I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. I was simply talking about the people who, during Matt's bigger days, only listened to him because it was the trendy thing to do, and never bothered to listen to his entire musical libary. The kids who only listen to Hello Time Bomb or can name a couple songs off of Avalanche, but if you asked them about Alabama Motel Room, they'd say 'You've been to Alabama?'.

Well, those fans that jumped on the bandwagon because it was trendy, should finally jump off.  When Beautiful Midnight came out, people started liking Matt Good because it was 'cool'.  And, now that he's not making huge hits anymore, they say he's lost his mojo.  What a load of crap.  And, this is not in reply to anyone on here, just a comment on some of his fans in general.

Beautiful midnight was the album that set me on matt. but I didn't jump of this "bandwagen" after it got unpopular... I'm still a huge fan and have his discography

Me too. Shit, I didn't even like Everything is Automatic until after I got into Beautiful Midnight, and now EIA is one of my fave tunes of his.

I'm certainly not the oldest fan around, I think I discovered Matt's music after the band broke up and he was working on Avalanche. I'm also a bigger fan of Matt's music with the band and I admit I was a little disappointed with Avalanche and then even a bit more disappointed with WLRRR. But the new acoustic demos actually excite me and make me feel hopeful towards the future of Matt's music.