mself084

I Need A Freakin' Job

Is anyone else in the same position as me? I've been done University for 2 1/2 weeks now, and I'm finding out that getting a job is alot harder than it seems, even WITH a university degree.

I spend 2 hours every morning doing job-related stuff...and posting on here.

how's your resume look?

I just say this cause I've looked at about 200 resumes in the last 48 hours and 95% of them were despressingly bad. In fact I didn't even read half of them, I threw them out because of spelling/formatting mistakes. So, yeah. Good resume = good leg up on competition.

how's your resume look?

I just say this cause I've looked at about 200 resumes in the last 48 hours and 95% of them were despressingly bad. In fact I didn't even read half of them, I threw them out because of spelling/formatting mistakes. So, yeah. Good resume = good leg up on competition.

Hey Ben where are you working? I re-worked my resume 4 weeks ago, so hopefully it doesn't suck.

LOL Meg , work at a call centre (some place like Rogers). It will make you hate your life but I'm pretty sure they pay better then say, the Z-spot (also known as Zellers). Here in Ottawa they're hiring, and you can get $13.50 an hr. There's got to be some Rogers building in Hamilton too...?

p.s. Mike, I work in an accounting firm and we're trying to hire an entry level bookkeeper/accountant. Someone just out of uni, preferably.

Edited by primetime_deliverance

just search it, email them and tell them the kind of work you're looking for and they'll line you up. the reason why you're seeing warehouse jobs all over the place is because they have high turnaround and no time, so they use the agency to line up employees. the agency gets paid based on the quality people being recruited. if you can become buddy-buddy with someone on staff they'll get you a great job.

the reason why i hire an agency to do my hiring is because i have no time to be interviewing people and making decisions and for the most part the recruiters that work for the agency have seen more and done more interviews than i have so they have a better guage (which is why its good to become friends) of the applicants. they use their own discretion most of the time. i basically laid down some minimum requirements and then basically said "i can make exceptions if the person is really really eager or has a personality that is unique" so if you go in there and blow the recruiter away, he'll be more likely to remember you when something comes up.

Edited by hot_carl

My tips are:

Spiff up your resume,

Lean shamelessly on your contacts,

Figure out places you want to work, find out important people names, and cold call them (I email, but same diff)

That failing, go back to school and get a real degree sucka ERTW!!!!

Meg if you find a job around hamilton let me know and i'll steal it from ya!

dude, i've already got 2 jobs.

want to work at a banquet hall? they're always hiring. plus you can work with me ;)

lol, you want to work MORE? Well, power to ya.

I hate my job, who wants it? Goes to the highest bidder, I'll even throw in a 6-pack of beer!

My tips are:

Spiff up your resume,

Lean shamelessly on your contacts,

Figure out places you want to work, find out important people names, and cold call them (I email, but same diff)

That failing, go back to school and get a real degree sucka ERTW!!!!

SRTU, motherfucker.