Anybody else listening to these guys? Freakin brilliant. I mean, if you have the attention span of a fly, forget about them. Definately will not be on Much or radio for that matter anytime soon... Nova Scotia product, go figure?

- the gal in their 'jaws of life' video gave me their first (?) disk. I encourage everyone to check them out.

Ciao.

bought their first cd based on loving the song "orca" (which i still love). i was hugely dissappointed in the rest. i've only heard one song off their second cd and it sounded horrible , like a band trying to sound as 'indie' as possible. nova scotia has had much better exports in recent years, including matt mays and el torpedo, joel plaskett, and the trews.

Anybody else listening to these guys? Freakin brilliant. I mean, if you have the attention span of a fly, forget about them. Definately will not be on Much or radio for that matter anytime soon... Nova Scotia product, go figure?

- the gal in their 'jaws of life' video gave me their first (?) disk. I encourage everyone to check them out.

Ciao.

Actually I've seen them on Much many times.

bought their first cd based on loving the song "orca" (which i still love). i was hugely dissappointed in the rest. i've only heard one song off their second cd and it sounded horrible , like a band trying to sound as 'indie' as possible. nova scotia has had much better exports in recent years, including matt mays and el torpedo, joel plaskett, and the trews.

Matt Mays is sweet, though whenever I hear the Trews I think I'm listening to a new Sloan song.

Poor Sloan. I guess Plaskett put it best: 'I saw your band / in the early days -- / we all understand / why you moved away. / We'll hold a grudge, anyway.'

Chris: if you didn't like 'Jaws of Life' or 'Danse Macabre' (I forget which was the first single), off the new album, check out a couple of other tracks, like 'Nerves Normal Breath Normal' or 'Faithful Guide.'

As to Mays, well he rocks (as do countless other Haligonian acts no one's ever heard of, like Great Plains or Their Majesties), and usually ends up onstage every time Sam Roberts is in town (which is fun!).

The Trews are okay, but their muhc-vaunted live show has looked more coked-up and overly routine with each successive time I've seen them. John-Angus MacDonald still wields a mighty rockin' axe, though. Their bass player, Jack Syperek (sp?), looks more starved and vacant with every gig.

I listen to them now. Thanks to Kirbenvost.

PS - Thanks Kevin.

No prob, glad I could help! They're pretty awesome indeed.

And you guys got my hopes up posting in this thread! When the heck are they going to release a new album?

I converted one of my friends too. She's in love with them now.

I think I heard rumours of them working on a new album, but I'm not entirely sure. The local musical rumour-mills have been preoccupied with two new Mays albums, the possibility of a new Plaskett album and the strange, allegedly 30-track new Sloan disc.

I'll try to keep my ear to the ground, on that one, and if the local speculators spit something out, I'll let you folk know.

On the topic of cd stores, I went to Scratch Records, A&B Sound, and HMV today, and HMV had by far the best selection, especially of Canadian Indie, besides Vancouver bands of course. I would think that's the main thing Scratch's store is good for because they have such a small stock. Neither they or A&B seem to carry Dependent releases, which are some of my most favorite. HMV had both Jim Guthrie AND Royal City.

Now, back to the topic of the thread: No Wintersleep news makes me sad. ;) However their MySpace has some new professional pics up, maybe they're preparing for something.

Edited by kirbenvost

Just ordered one of these bad boys:

http://www.maplemusic.com/product.asp?dept...50%2D21&lang=EN

As far as record stores go, I found that CD Plus, depending on what city the store is located, can be awesome as far as indie music. The Nelson BC store is great (maybe because its the only record store in town). HMV is also really good and it seems like they're actually ordering more obscure music plus there's the option to special order too.

But I find ZULU on 4th in Vancouver is the best one of all. Its larger and has more of a selection than 'scratch' plus there's always hot indie chicks there. And you can't go wrong with hot indie chicks.

Edited by mrjones