Wintersleep are great. I wish they'd come back to Moncton..it's been so long. I used to go to a lot of their shows, which were always so amazing.

Hey Shiri, you're studying design (or planning on it) right? If you haven't already, check out the bass player, Jud's stuff. He's awesome.

Edited by Christing

Um ... Their Majesties? The Grass? B. A. Johnston? Windom Earle? Grand Theft Bus? The Fussy Part? Slowcoaster? The Jimmy Swift Band?

I really only know of fairly local acts (all of those are from the Halifax area, except for Slowcoaster, who are distinctly from Cape Breton, and GTB and the Fussy Part, who are from various parts of NB, and share a very, very, very talented drummer).

Come to think of it, you can check out the highly-danceable stylings of Windom Earle for free on their website: Windom Earle.

I saw Wintersleep open for Sam Roberts on Saturday night. It was a pretty good live show, I was really impressed. I may download an album or some loose tracks but I'm not sure if it will actually be any good, any suggestions of some really wicked tracks?

To be honest, I'm not really expecting any studio track to be decent at all. They had a great dynamic and they were really in sync at the show but I seriously have my doubts any of that energy is present on any of their albums, or that the songs are even played the same. Are all of their tracks between 6-8 mins on the albums? The long tracks at the show were really good, but the few shorter longs they played sounded like filler...

Also, just about every other member of the band is a better vocalist than the lead singer.

Side Note: If anyone lives in/around Halifax and has an opportunity to see a band their intereted in at the Cunard Centre on Pier 23, don't pass it up. I was there for the first time this weekend and it's just this really open space (kinda reminds me of a warehouse) with carpeting. They have a great stage too. It's an awesome venue.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

Thanks for the tip; I've heard conflicting things about the Cunard Centre, but so long as it's not the giant, echoey space I initially got reports on, it sounds excellent.

The longest song on the newest album is Nerves Normal, Breath Normal, which weighs in at 7:23; the rest are under six minutes. I can't speak for the performance on Saturday, but Paul Murphy's voice generally records quite well, and the band comes through as quite together, and usually fairly energetic even on recordings. Mostly, it's thanks to their drummer, Loel Campbell's fantastic rhythm work. Especially on the newer album, their sound is all about atmosphere and building to an emotional crescendo. It's a remarkably cohesive effort, for a sophomore release.

For cool tracks, I'd check out Orca and Calibre (from the first album; try not to get too put off by the odd, fakely-angsty growling of 'monster' at the end of Orca), Jaws of Life, A Long Flight, Migration and Nerves Normal, Breath Normal (from the second album -- listen for the sick drum work in the mid- to late sections of NNBN). That ought to demonstrate a fairly wide range of their stuff, though I'll admit there isn't much other than dark material in their catalogue, so it'll all have that sort of feel. They also have a killer version of We Three Kings, incidentally.

I obviously haven't seen Wintersleep but I downloaded both of their albums and I must say I really like them. I think the vocalist does a pretty good job and no, most songs are around 3 and 4 minutes.

My current favorite song is People Talk but it really doesn't represent them as it's really a quiet acoustic song while most songs aren't. It's still a very good song though.

Yeah, I can't find anything either for torrents or .mp3's on Limewire. I already have Orca though, I remember that track from way back in the day.

'03 is 'way back in the day'? are you six years old?

Hahaha, just seems like awhile, in all honesty I thought it orignally came out in like 2001 or something. And that's kinda my saying for anything that happened before my high school graduation. Sorry, force of habit. ;)

Yeah, I can't find anything either for torrents or .mp3's on Limewire. I already have Orca though, I remember that track from way back in the day.

'03 is 'way back in the day'? are you six years old?

Hahaha, just seems like awhile, in all honesty I thought it orignally came out in like 2001 or something. And that's kinda my saying for anything that happened before my high school graduation. Sorry, force of habit. ;)

sorry for being a dick :angry: