Ryan44

Where Were You On 9/11

Elementary school, grade seven. Teacher tells us what happened but otherwise tries to stifle discussion. My geography teacher did, however, have a discussion on what went on.

What was really funny was the bus ride home. Everyone (excluding me, duh) thought Japan were behind the attacks. Dumbasses.

i was in my dorm room, freshman year of college, watching Win Ben Stein's Money on Comedy Central when my friend knocked on my door and told me to turn to cnn.

i turned there and saw the footage of the second plane hitting.

i let out a gasp.

my friend told me not to laugh.

i said i wasn't laughing, i'm just shocked.

the rest of the day was kind of a blur.

does anyhone else realize that this is something we will be telling our children/grandchildren that we saw?

i was working in the pharmacy at Shoppers Drug Mart. Donna the pharmacist called to tell us to turn on the tv. It was kinda crazy all day kinda watching that and having people come through the drive the drive thru with misinformation and stuff.

I find it comical that Adam was in grade 7. I remember when I was in grade 7 my brother came into my bedroom one night to tell me that the war with Iraq had starte - the first Iraq war. So old

I found out just as I was leaving for work. My mom called and told me that the WTC had been hit and that 50 000 people were dead. I could not even fathom that number of people dead. I left for work in a state of shock, and it's only when I started serving customers and people started talking about it that it actually set in. It was a very surreal feeling. Futhermore, being in Ottawa, I remember then basically evacuating the whole downtown core.

The whole day though I just remember 3 thoughts going through my head -->

1) This is/was our generations pearl harbor

2) From the time I went to bed on 9/10 to the time I went to bed on 9/11 the world was no longer the same place

3) In 50 years people would look back on this event as the one that started everything, like the assination of the Arch Duke... the question was, what did it start?

i was working in the pharmacy at Shoppers Drug Mart. Donna the pharmacist called to tell us to turn on the tv. It was kinda crazy all day kinda watching that and having people come through the drive the drive thru with misinformation and stuff.

I find it comical that Adam was in grade 7. I remember when I was in grade 7 my brother came into my bedroom one night to tell me that the war with Iraq had starte - the first Iraq war. So old

I'm over 16, it's totally legal.

...and that 50 000 people were dead.

What the shit? I never heard ANYONE come up with an estimate that high. Fifty thousand? I was hearing ten thousand, worst case scenario.

Anyway, I was somewhat more interested in Desert Fox.

Edited by Sparq

Well, the initial estimates were that high, because of the sheer amount of people that worked in the two towers. But once people figured out that the planes hit very early in the morning and most people below the points of impact had a chance to escape, the death toll wasn't nearly as high as it could have been.

Talking to an American friend on AIM. My exact words (with improved spelling);

"Oh, just fucking get over it, it was probably just some idiot in a Cessna who didn't know how to fly."

Then I got to history class and watched the news and was all; "Oops, that was very insensitive of me."

"Oh, just fucking get over it, it was probably just some idiot in a Cessna who didn't know how to fly."

Then I got to history class and watched the news and was all; "Oops, that was very insensitive of me."

Oh shit. THat would be one of the world's most obliviously insensitive things ever said.

I was at work, at my last company, and we had a number of people who normally took the two flights that flew out of Boston, to get out to the west coast. The influx of calls coming from loved ones, as we desperately hunted for our co-workers, was higher than our regular call volume, by tenfold. We sent out a global email to all of hour customers, asking them not to call in to the support lines, as we used them to field calls and place calls, in regards to our 25+ co-workers that were on the road that day. Among them, my mentor and close friend Chris. My wife at the time, went to their house to sit with her and the kids. Imagine the relief we all felt when every single one our friends were found. The attack would effect my family as well. My little cousin Nick(or as we call him Nikki Sixx)a paramedic, was one of the first responders at Ground Zero, when the buildings collapsed he was outside rendering aid, after making a few trips into one of the towers. After they collapsed we didn't know whether he'd been inside or not. We were all greatly relieved to find that he was alive. A close family friend worked for the Port Authority and his office was in the building, he was on vacation at the time. My company had four guys who were trapped on a Golfing resort trip to Puerto Rico. Some reward that was for them, they were stuck there for several days, with no way to get home.

I look back at all of these things, and I think how lucky I was to not have lost a loved one that day. I also feel a deep and intense sadness for those who did, and for those who survived it, who suffer with the memories of it.

I heard people talking about it in the hallways on my way from class to class, and at first I thought it was the end of the world based on some of the things I'd heard, but I didn't really ask anyone about it. Then in second period grade ten science class, the principal popped his head in the door and told us. That was an interesting day.

as insensitive as it is, it's a logical assumption to make. i dont know why cessna's are legal. honest. nothing good has ever come of their existence. other than cessna jokes, of course.

it was pizza day at school and i talked to the boy i had a crush on, charlie, about it.

he said it was the germans.

If your boy crush says something like that, odds are you shouldn't be crushing on him.

What a dumbass.

9th grade. First period. French class. I came in through the door, late as usual, the whole class was discussing it. We didn't learn anything that whole day in school cause thats all my teachers talked about (which sucked cause I woke up with high intentions of learning that day)

Of course, I didnt know much about what 'terrorism' really was at that age or how it can deeply affect all people from across the globe. I didn't think I really cared cause all I was doing all day was hanging out with friends, walking through malls and watching silly reality TV shows.