Maroon was probably their best album. I wasn't a big fan of Everything to Everyone (though there were 2 or 3 incredible songs on it) and the new CD, while decent, isn't as solid all-around.

But yes, they are incredible live. I actually sang on stage with them, and it was one of the best experiances ever.

I ran out to buy it as soon as the mall opened XD Deluxe edition too lol

I took a listen through it last night, and personally, I can see what a difference makes, in the collaboration they had between the whole band, as opposed to just Steve and Ed writing. Don't really enjoy Kevin's songs, but Jim's songs are always great, sound a lot like his side project.

I got the feeling it sounded sort of like a children's album though, you know what I mean? Lyrically, the songs "read" like a storybook, I think it was the rhyme scheme.

The choice to edge towards folksy sounds, as opposed to rockin' "Stunt"-era sounds, sorta added to the Fred Penner vibe.

Personally I liked it, but then, I'm such a hardcore BNL fan that I'm liable to like anything they put out.

I do have to say that it's probably going to take a few more listens, to really get into though.

And yes, BNL are amazing live. I sure do miss the Barenaked Rap at the end of "If I Had A Million Dollars" though. Somehow the new dance routine they added to "Shopping" just doesn't make up for it. I heard they're bringing back Million dollars though, so hopefully the Rap returns as well.

Maroon and Born on a Pirate Ship were probably my fav albums by them, but I love pretty much everything they put out (the last album was a little weak, and this one is lacking as well, but still.)

Muran; you're the man. Not literally, obviously, but still. The Shopping routine is brilliant, as is the freestyling. Though personally I like Kevin's song. Vanishing is pretty cool.

Edit: The CD is starting to grow on me. There's a few songs I'm not huge on, but most are pretty good.

Edited by Prometheon

Perhaps I"ll go and pick up the cd. I'm thinking of picking up Emily Haines cd today too.

I personally fell in love with the song Easy by Barenaked Ladies. I thought it was awesome.

I don't really like Maroon. I wasn't that huge of a fan of it.

Another BNL Live thing I love, was the little Red vs. Blue clips they had personally made for their concerts. Those were cute. Gotta love Ed for being such a geek XD

So far, really enjoying the song "Adrift". I was really hoping they would put out more songs like "For You" off of E2E, and "Adrift" seems the closest to me. Lovin' the banjo.

But yeah...after a few more listens, while I am enjoying it...Seems a bit weak. I'm surprised at how overall chill the CD is.

For those who actually enjoyed the other band members contributions to the album, such as Kevin's "Vanishing" or Jim's "Peterborough and the Kawarthas", I highly suggest you give a listen to their side bands, Kevin Hearn and Thin Buckle, and The Creeggan Brothers (Jim's brother, Andy, played for BNL for "Gordon" and "Maybe You Should Drive", before Tyler took over). Personally I love the Creeggs.

Wasn't Andy Creeggan replaced on keys by Kevin Hearn, as opposed to Tyler Stewart on drums (as evidence, I'm fairly sure you can see Tyler on the original cover of Gordon).

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the first album Kevin played on was Rock Spectacle, but I could very well be mistaken. Then, of course, he (Kev) came down with a nasty case of cancer after Stunt, but is still revelling in his triumphant return.

Wasn't Andy Creeggan replaced on keys by Kevin Hearn, as opposed to Tyler Stewart on drums (as evidence, I'm fairly sure you can see Tyler on the original cover of Gordon).

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the first album Kevin played on was Rock Spectacle, but I could very well be mistaken. Then, of course, he (Kev) came down with a nasty case of cancer after Stunt, but is still revelling in his triumphant return.

Before "Gordon" was put out, it was just Ed, Steve, Jim, Andy; Andy was doing percussions as well as keyboards. He went away awhile, and when he returned, he found Tyler had taken over playing percussions. So he stuck to keyboards and I think it was congos and other non-Tyler percussion arrangements. It was around that time that their first demo tapes (Barenaked Lunch and Yellow Tape) were released. Obviously soon after, "Gordon" was released and that's why Ty's there.

And yeah, Kevin replaced Andy, that's why on the Rock Spectacle CD, Kevin is known as "The New Guy" lol And yes, it's awesome that he totally kicked Leukemia's ass.

Yeah...I'm a huge BNL fan >.>

I was kinda disappointed with their DVD, Barelaked Nadies. I've been trying to get a hold of "Barenaked In America" for ages, and I don't want to succumb to eBay. And Barenaked Truth, well, that's just a DVD of something I taped off CBC.

And the book, while extremely informative and interesting (the photo section's cute), had a lot of typos and shit, I found that extremely irritating. And the author, Paul Meyers...I see him on TV a lot, and he annoys the shit out of me ;)