Ryan44

Montreal Crisis

On the other hand now, I hope people don't going overboard with security measures now.

I'm not sure if this fits together, but the police managed to get him in 4 minutes, and the news went on about how they learned the lessons of Columbine and all that, so maybe that's not so much ssecurity as operating more efficiently.

Actually, news sources outside Quebec got this all wrong. The measures they took for Dawson are measures that were developped after the Polytechnique thing in 1989 not after Columbine.

I've heard misc media sources outside the province who got a lot of things wrong.

Meanwhile, the media in Quebec are making a big deal out of the gothic thing. That annoys me because Gothics are becoming the same thing as Arabs became after 9/11. As if all gothics were out to kill people.

Generalism and easy truths for idiots annoy me.

For example, yesterday, a news anchor talked to a gothic girl and he said "but all those people who promote violence on vampirefreaks.com and those who promote Hitler, what kind of message does that send out?" and she brilliantly replied "there will be sick people everywhere whether they are gothic, punks or regular people". That is the truth. But it's easier to throw the blame on a specific target. That helps people understand the news even though it's a complete lie.

If gothics would have been a race though, then you'd have all the gothic's rights defender all over the place screaming against the injustice. But they're just a bunch of weirdos so, let's throw the blame on them...

I hate the media

I watched the news at lunchtime the other day here in Ottawa - the worst was the guy who came on and immediately blamed the school system for not noticing a problem youth (I didn't know he was in school) and then went on to blame VIDEO GAMES for inciting this violence.

Yeah the list of unconcerned influences is long:

Gothics

Violent Movies

Video Games

Panthera

Metal Music

Goth Rock

If the guy was a The Killers fan, people would have blamed it on their name...

No one talks about the laughably easy access to fucking power weapons (the guy had a fucking riffle!) or the fact that a guy who was regularely talking about killing people was able to get his hands on one of these or anything like that...it's called easy truths for idiots!

Edited by Prosis

is it sad that i'm not shocked by this kind of stuff anymore?

Well, maybe if you had gone to college...

I'm sitting in a cafe just outside the science library right now. Some blenders are blaring in the background for people buying their novelty overpriced iced coffee snacks. And if someone just walked in here with a gun? That's pretty much what happened in Montreal.

EDIT: mself084, I agree that guy is full of shit. People who do stuff like this usually have mental illnesses. A video game like Counterstrike isn't going to make you randomly open fire on innocent civilians.

EDIT EDIT: To open up another thread of discussion, why aren't people calling things like this terrorist attacks? It fits every definition of the term.

Edited by ecnarf

once again, the media is turning my stomach. they had to list the 'hateful' bands he listened to and give violent video games honorable mention. gee, maybe the problem was mental illness and oblivious parents. maybe they should be questioning how somebody who was obviously that disturbed got his hands on a restricted weapon.

Yeah that's one of the most disturbing parts: his weapons were legally acquired. He was a member of a shooting range in montreal and therefore had the right to have this in his possession

EDIT EDIT: To open up another thread of discussion, why aren't people calling things like this terrorist attacks?  It fits every definition of the term.

that's a good question. probably because of his goth-leanings.

EDIT: i think because he doesnt fit our stereotypical view of what the newsmedia has constructed as what constitutes a terrorist, it makes it difficult for the media to go and say "well he's a terrorist too" because then anyone can be a terrorist. despite the fact that both you and i know that anyone can be a terrorist, that doesn't help the media at all. they need an almost cartoonish portrayal of what the enemy looks like, so they can go on being moralists and telling us who the bad guy is every night at 6. im guessing that if the assailant wore a turban, things would be different.

hooray for the media and pointing the finger at goth culture!! yipee. let's see if they can get another scapegoat like they had for columbine. actually, the fact that they're even comparing this event to columbine is ridiculous.

Edited by borntohula

once again, the media is turning my stomach. they had to list the 'hateful' bands he listened to and give violent video games honorable mention. gee, maybe the problem was mental illness and oblivious parents. maybe they should be questioning how somebody who was obviously that disturbed got his hands on a restricted weapon.

Yeah, the media's full of shit. They'll try to blame it on anything but him and his parents, and they'll go on for weeks, if not months, about how black trenchcoats and mohawks are bad for kids and you should keep yours away from that sort of thing. ;)

I was saddened by the news, but not really suprised. We're a jaded society it seems.

Does nobody ever clue into the fact that maybe, just maybe, they wear the trench coats to conceal the large weapons they're carrying? I don't know, maybe that's just far to obvious, but somehow I don't think a sport coat would conceal an rifle all that well.

Does nobody ever clue into the fact that maybe, just maybe, they wear the trench coats to conceal the large weapons they're carrying?  I don't know, maybe that's just far to obvious, but somehow I don't think a sport coat would conceal an rifle all that well.

;) OBVIOUSLY that's why, but most people just wear them because they like they way they look. But of course no one remembers that fact...

I happen to wear a long black wool coat when it's rainy or cold, because it's warm and it looks good. Imagine that!

Edited by kirbenvost