sodamntired

Does Anyone Here Like The White Stripes?

cause i've got something you might be interested in

i spent 6+ hours ripping the audio from their live dvd, "Under Blackpool Lights," and I created a kind of bootleg album.

I have been told by a few people that it is their best album...that is, a live album they never released.

oh yeah, they did not do Fell In Love With A Girl at that concert.

but here is a couple samples of how my ripping experiment turned out.

The Hardest Button To Button

You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)

Jolene (Dolly Parton Cover...this one is my favorite)

thats it...if i'm breaking some kind of posting law, feel free to delete this post

if anybody wants another song i haven't posted, just ask...pm or post on this thread

i never really noticed her poor drumming... like aside from the fact that it's very simple. she keeps time well enough for my tastes. but that's what the white stripes are and why the raconteurs exist in the first place. simple, blues inspired rock versus blues inspired rock with much more depth musically, hense better drumming being needed. "depth" and "white stripes" should never be found in the same sentence (aside from this one) so i have no bone to pick with her drumming.

obviously im always open to hearing what it is about her drumming that's so bad. there's always things i havent considerred.

Always the same beat, yeah she can keep time well enough, but there's never any variation. It's always 'kick snare kick snare kick snare kick snare', and in the loud parts of the song she always hits the cymbal on every beat, just 'crash crash crash crash'...it's really repetetive and she doesn't do very much in the way of fills either... hah, I'm being harsh, but honestly a 5 year old could play those beats.

not really

they're different bands

thats like saying i fucking hate paying taxes but i love hang gliding.

two different creatures

ok thanks for clearing that up, i never thought they soudned alike, but other people i know think that they do.

Always the same beat, yeah she can keep time well enough, but there's never any variation. It's always 'kick snare kick snare kick snare kick snare', and in the loud parts of the song she always hits the cymbal on every beat, just 'crash crash crash crash'...it's really repetetive and she doesn't do very much in the way of fills either... hah, I'm being harsh, but honestly a 5 year old could play those beats.

i read in a magazine article somewhere (maybe guitar world) that jack white taught her drums. he likes the fact that she sucks for the raw sound it creates (my words, his ideas).

found it. gw feb. 06 interview with jack white and jimmy page:

gw:both of you have worked with drummers that have a great primal energy. do you feel you needed them to balance the cerebral qualities that you bring to your work?

jack: absolutely. to quote picasso again, he said that he worked all his life so he could paint like a five year old. meg plays with the spirit and naive enthusiasm of a five year old, and i wish i could, too. i couldn't play drums like her if i wanted to, because the technical side of my brain would take over. you couldn't find someone to play with the same naive quality that meg has. i've even begged meg not to practice!

i must have read somewhere else that he also taught her how to play, but i don't know where that was. on a personal note, i can't believe they were comparing john bonham and jimmy page to jack white and meg white, but yeah, there you go. jack likes her suckiness.

gw:both of you have worked with drummers that have a great primal energy. do you feel you needed them to balance the cerebral qualities that you bring to your work?

jack: absolutely. to quote picasso again, he said that he worked all his life so he could paint like a five year old. meg plays with the spirit and naive enthusiasm of a five year old, and i wish i could, too. i couldn't play drums like her if i wanted to, because the technical side of my brain would take over. you couldn't find someone to play with the same naive quality that meg has. i've even begged meg not to practice!

i must have read somewhere else that he also taught her how to play, but i don't know where that was. on a personal note, i can't believe they were comparing john bonham and jimmy page to jack white and meg white, but yeah, there you go. jack likes her suckiness.

Hahaha, that's crazy! Funny that I said a 5 year old could play that and it's exactly what Jack wants... And comparing her to Bonham? What the frig were they thinking? The only guy I can think of off the top of my head that does anything close is the guy from Tool. And Bonham's son, I've heard.

The bootlegs were good, but I didn't really care for the songs themselves. I really only like some White Stripes, I guess.

Edited by kirbenvost

Hahaha, that's crazy! Funny that I said a 5 year old could play that and it's exactly what Jack wants... And comparing her to Bonham? What the frig were they thinking? The only guy I can think of off the top of my head that does anything close is the guy from Tool. And Bonham's son, I've heard.

The bootlegs were good, but I didn't really care for the songs themselves. I really only like some White Stripes, I guess.

don't get me wrong, i like tool alot, and i haven't seen them live so i don't know if he improvises or does solos or whatever, but after seeing john bonham's solo in "moby dick" on the zep live dvd set, i don't think i've heard anyone come close to him.