I think it all depends on Chino. I don't know anything about his personal life, but he seemed to let himself go sometime around the white pony era. he got fat and started getting drunk all the time on tour. Maybe he was bored, uninspired, or maybe he has a drinking problem.

Even though the self titled mostly sucked, there were some wicked tracks on it. The raw talent is there, so I know he can write if he gets his shit together, or some inspiration finds him

a friend of mine say them headline some tour awhile back, I talked to her afterward and this is what she said:

A: I thought you said the Deftones suck live

Me: Thats what I was told. why? were they good?

a: They were awesome live!!!

Me: Really? What'd they play?

A: I dunno, I've never heard them before this.

I laughed at her for that.

Depends really. He doesn't sing like he does on the albums, but it's still decent...plus it's a nice change.

Also depends how drunk he is as well and whatnot.

Either way...the new album is going to blow.

Anyone seen that Hole In The Earth video? Chino's gotten even fatter.

just saw it. he needs to lay of the tacos. and when did he start playing guitar? anyway...wasn't moved either way by the song. in comparison, i was blown away by the lead-off singles released off the last two albums (i never heard any singles before buying their first two).

i saw them play in milwaukee this past summer. i've been a long time deftones fan, but when i go to a show i'm smart enough to realize that the band isn't gonna sound the same as it does recorded. go for the experience and don't get hung up on the fact that the singer isn't hitting the notes. it's deftones, not mariah carey. i was five feet away from the stage the whole show and it was spectacular.

Figures the only somewhat experimental track is disliked.

I think I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't call Pink Cellphone the only experimental track on the album. Perhaps one of the weirder tracks, yeah. But they're running amok with the conventions on a few other tunes. Beware, comes to mind, at least at the beginning.