Spritzup

Society And Tattoo's

I notice that a large percentage of this forums membership are tattoo'd (myself among them), and I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on how society percieves them. I mean it's clear that they are alot more accepted than they once were (as can be seen by the popularity, and by such shows as Miami Ink), but are they accepted in the corporate world? I mean do you feel that having them will hold you back from promotion, or getting a job, etc.?

So lets hear everybodys thoughts, I'd be curious to see what everyone thinks.

tatoos are generally frowned upon by those in the business word, but who are they to dictate what's tasteful? afterall, they are the ones who have useless piece of cloth hanging from their necks. it's all about conventions. tats are becoming much more in vogue so i would imagine that policy towards them is slowly becoming more lax. i have no proof of such claims though.

the surge in popularity of tatoos has a lot to do with the "me" culture we live in at the moment. everyone wishes to set themselves apart from the rest. everyone has a myspace, a blog, a cell phone that takes pictures and many other things that allow a person to stamp out their identity and prove that they're different, unique. i think body modification is in the same vein.

For some reason I tend to frown at people who have tattoo's, perhaps it was the environment in which I was brought up in, or the experiences I have had with people who have had tattoo's. But yes I tend to think negatively of people who have them, my brother included.

Edited by Computer

i am going to look into investing in a tattoo removal clinic, cause i predict a lot of college age girls are going to want to, someday, remove that awesome asian text above her asscrack.

time has a thing with making the body sag in places that are tight now.

What I don't understand about tattoos is the people that go way overboard with them. Every once in a while, I see someone (who likely not by coincidence also looks homeless) on the streets has some tribal-looking tattoo design all over their face. While even a relatively tasteful tattoo may not be looked well upon in the world of office jobs and corporations, the whole face thing would probably eliminate one's chances of being hired by even McDonald's. I can understand the need to be different, but it's also stupid if you take being different so far, and go about it in such a superficial way, that you genuinely ruin your chances at a functional life.

I'm always surprised at how many places of work want people to cover up their tattoos now, even though they are more culturally accepted. My sister couldn't even let a small tattoo show that was on her arm at an electronics store that she works at.

Anyway, I've never had problems with tattoos myself. I think they're pretty darn cool. I'd love to get one someday, but I don't know what I would want on my skin forever.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you got the tattoo for yourself, or to impress other people.

Why even bother if you're getting it to impress other people? If something is going to be imprinted on your body for the rest of your life, it better damn well be for you.

I have no problem with them. I have 4 and they all mean something to me, and the only one that's even remotely visible is my Amnesty International candle on the inside of my left bicep. I think if you get it for YOU, and it has meaning to YOU, that's what matters, and the perception of others is irrelevant. Whether you like my tattoos or not has no bearing on how I feel about them.

Now, in regards to the business world, if I'm wearing a suit, or even just a long sleeved shirt, who is even gonna notice?

i am going to look into investing in a tattoo removal clinic, cause i predict a lot of college age girls are going to want to, someday, remove that awesome asian text above her asscrack.

Ouch.

I hate those cookie cutter tattoos you're more inclined to see these days. Those stupid tribal, wire-y ones, or the playboy bunnies and butterflies EVERYwhere.

I'm inclined to say, unless the tattoo means something dear to you, don't get one.

Personally for me, I've been enamoured with them ever since I was young, I've always thought they were such a beautiful way to express one's self.

My tattoos are nothing extreme, not big, or in extremely visible areas. *I* think they're tasteful. But I do find, when I'm in older company (such as my aunts/uncles/bosses), I have to keep them hidden because they find them so offensive...

"Why do you mutilate yourself like that?" is one I get a lot from my boss and my uncle. ;)

So whatever. They're for me. And everything has a time and a place. Just know who your "audience" is, I guess. We all gotta live in this world together, ne?

i dont like tattoos. maybe one less noticable one on a girl is fine, but i dont like when there are lots, or big ones. i think its gross.

Ditto...well, on girls anyway. It turns me right off.

Guys I don't give a shit. Whatevah. I'm hypocritical, but I don't like it when girls have these huge ass tattoo's on their body...small is fine, but otherwise blah.

I like tattoos and I find them sexy. But like in everything in life, they have to be tasteful. Every once in a while I come across someone and think to myself "what the hell were they thinking when they got that tattoo?", but to each their own and it's just another way for people to express their personality so that's cool.

i'm okay with some tattoos. kirk has some hot ones on his chest but it's really easy for someone to get tattoos that i don't like. i sort of seeing it as ruining your skin. i love expanses of skin.. i think they are so beautiful. like backs and chests and stomachs. to me, to tattoo that is ruining it forever. i absolutely hate when women have anywhere near their breasts tattooed.

haha i'm a nude painter... i just love the natural human form.

I have three tattoos, and have already picked out or designed 4 more. I think what we do with our bodies is our business. Because I'm a professional, I have to be mindful of my appearance, so I choose to only tattoo, places that can be covered, such as my arms. I wouldn't expect that of others, it's my personal choice.