So I'm right in the middle of listening to this album and I'm thinking that this is something really special. I never really gave them a chance prior as the whole 'Alt-Country' genre turned me off but this is very solid. To me, this is more 'experimental alternative' and I can't really detect any country. Maybe the older records? I remember I heard the song "Box Full Of Letters" a long time ago and I thought the song sucked ass but this stuff is far better.

I know there are other Wilco fans here, so speak.

Just finished the cd. The second part had a lot of piano arrangements but the music still had a lot of depth in the background--really cool. Way better than anything that Ben Kweller can pull off.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Yes, the older albums have a much more country-influence. You can't hear it that much on A Ghost is Born.

I love Wilco. Mostly Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost is Born, Kicking Television, and Summerteeth. Mermaid Avenue is also very good because Billy Bragg is involved. ;)

But really, Wilco is something really special. I'm always surprised to hear about how many people have heard of Wilco, but never listened to them. Their music is so good.

<3 Wilco. I saw them live on Canada Day this year, and all I can say is "holy shit!" Those guys are amazing live! Nels Cline is an amazing guitarist, Glen Kotche is an amazing drummer, and they can rock out with the best of them. Those guys are musicians through and through.

Foxtrot is an amazing album, not only because of how it sounds (one of my top 10 albums all time easily) but the background story of what it took to get made. Tweedy basically did what every artist would want to do but none have the courage and told the label to back off and made the album he wanted.

for once i agree with moncton, wilco is my second fave band after mg, i used to think foxtrot was better than ghost, but i don't know, a ghost is born is unreal, the tone, the songs everything, prob the best group of musicians in one band, jeff tweedy is unreal, i don't really like anythign pre-being there, kicking television is the best live record i have ever heard, i high recommend it

Hasn' t Tweedy left the band, now, though? Damn stories ... can't keep 'em straight.

The main reason you have trouble fitting Wilco to the alt-country genre, Moncton, is that 'alt-anything' is a BS designation for something that's difficult to categorize. I've heard the Weakerthans called 'alt-folk,' and that just doesn't seem right.

Oh, and Wilco does rock, indeed.

i've never heard them, even though i've heard of them for years. they even just played here this summer. the country tag scares me away. are they country like how wlr&rr has a little country spice? i like that sound, but not much more than that. like if "hopeless" had been sung by the typical country singer i wouldn't have liked it, but matt's vocals kept it within the realm of enjoyable.

Jeff Tweedy hasn't left Wilco at all, though he will have a solo DVD out on Oct. 24th called Sunken Treasure.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of my desert island five for sure. Ghost is a great record but YHF is a masterpiece.

See them if you ever get the chance. They are incredible.