anyone here into them? picaresque was a gorgeous record.

colin maloy's voice tends to push some people off though, i personally love it.

i just got an advance of the crane's wife, the new record, and thus far, it is probably going to become one of my favourites of 2006.

any thoughts?

picturesque was good... "Sixteen Military Wives" definately

But there were a handful of tracks that didn't quite have the same grip on me "Eli the Barrowboy" for example

Whats the new effort sound like... you got some of examples of songs from picturesue that it predominately sounds like?

the new record is different, less folky.

i would suggest checking out their myspace page to hear "o, valencia" to get a grip of some of the new material. i can't describe their record in one song cuz there are a lot of different styles on it.

See... with picaresque, I could only REALLY get into Mariners Revenge and 16 military wives (which is a badass song all around, and so effing catchy it hurts).

The rest, as you mentioned in the OP, turned me off mostly due to his voice.

For me, The Decemberists are second only to MG. I have all four LP's and two EP's. If it weren't for the Paper Chase releasing "Now You Are One of Us" this year, "The Crane Wife" would be my favourite album of the year, and it might just be anyway, i don't know.