sodamntired

Explain Why I Do This To Myself

See, I'm a fan of several bands that, in my opinion, are not nearly as big as their talent should allow them to be.

Matthew Good (Band), Transistor Sound and Lighting Co., Pluto, Sam Roberts, these are just a few of the bands that I get chills when I listen to them and I am amazed at just how outstanding they are.

but i also ask myself, "why is this band not nearly as big as they really should be?"

this leads me to another realization, would I be such a fan of this band if I heard them several times a day on popular radio or music television? Would I want to be considered a fan of the same band that Becky from Varsity Cheerleading likes?

and for an open question i pose to the bored, would we all be such fans of Matt if he was on the same international fame level of say, Nickelback?

thats my end of this post.

I for one would love to see Matt get more recognition and popularity provided it didn't change the way he wrote and created music.

Ditto. Same goes for a whole bunch of others.

On the flip side, Radiohead has achieved the international fame you (sodamntired) speak of, and I love them just as much as (if not more than) many indie bands.

Would I want to be considered a fan of the same band that Becky from Varsity Cheerleading likes?

Why not? If that's your only criteria for dismissing an otherwise great band, then that's pretty sad (not saying you do this, though). Besides, that just brings you this much closer to banging Becky.

Edited by no yu begin wher i end

I'd love Matt's music no matter HOW big he was!

If anything, my impression of him as a person might differ a bit had he been one of those huge international successes.

But come on man, that's just not who Matt is. When we think of Matt we're always going to think of him as that moderately popular musical marvel who rocked over Canada, but never achieved significantly fair fame on a world-scale.

Would I want to be considered a fan of the same band that Becky from Varsity Cheerleading likes?

Besides, that just brings you this much closer to banging Becky.

LMAO

"hey becky, i noticed you're indie...i'm pretty indie myself."

I'm not against liking the stuff they play on Commercial radio, but for the most part, I'm not such a fan of it.

The exception I have had in the past little while is the new Snow Patrol.

I remember back to my Freshman/Sophmore year of college when there were 3 or 4 videos on VH1/MTV I liked.

The Hives, Franz Ferdinad, Quarashi. that was a good time, artists I heard and decided that they somehow slipped through the record industry filter that makes most, if not all artists on television/radio clean and produced.

Edited by sodamntired

I feel the same way, living in the US, I think there could be a market for bands from Canada. Sam Roberts and The Trews have released cd heres, but its only the bordertowns, who seems to take a shine to them. Sloan said that sales in the US were sluggish, and that the new CD may not even be released in the US.

Here in the States, our problem is that there little music diversity. Either you listen to pop crap, and crap that is played on the radio, or you are an indie fan, who has little to say.

When a song is constangly being played on the radio/MTV, even if it's good, it tends to make you sick of it. That's the problem with radio/MTV really, even when they have something good, they overplay it to death and if you got the CD, you end up skipping that one or two singles that got overplayed because you're sick of hearing them.

fuck what becky from varsity cheerleading listens to. if i dig it, i dig it. i like my chemical romance's last album (excepting "i'm not okay"), i love a couple manson albums and i like a couple slipknot albums. i don't care who else listens to them or how cool/uncool they are. as for overplaying on t.v. and radio, both of those have off switches. if i'm somewhere where i can't turn it off and have to listen to it day after day (work in the past) i'd be thankful it's a song i like that i get to hear every day as opposed to, say, "holla back girl" or some shit like that.

i actually became a fan of matt in my youth when, in terms of the media i was paying attention to at the time, he was on the level of international superstar.

everything is automatic and then apparitions, i couldnt turn on the radio without hearing them. but they stood out, so i liked them.

to be fair, though, ive become a lot more cynical since then. if matt became a superstar now it wouldnt change a thing. but there are probably some pretty fine bands ive glossed over because of too much airplay or too slick production since then. i suppose, for me, it depends on how im introduced to them, whether i keep a fully open mind or not.

I was going to mention the same thing, at the end of the 90's and up until 2001, MGB's music was all over the radio here, it was getting played on top 40, rock, and alternative channels. MGB's videos were all on super high rotation....so really it's almost like you're just asking what the older fans on the bored felt like, when matt was getting alot of publicity....except instead, worldwide, not just canadian stardom