sockcrotch

Matt's Breakdown(s)

How do you feel about Matt's quasi-insanity/breakdowns as a whole?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Matt's quasi-insanity/breakdowns as a whole?

• Feel really bad for him and hope he feels better/happier
    • It may be sad, but as long as it produces great music and art, then I'm happy
    • Don't take it seriously
    • Don't think he really goes through breakdowns

I voted the first one, but I'll admit that when new music comes out I go all fanboy and forget that sometimes it's really dark stuff from a tortured but real life person. I was also kinda grossed out when the other day I came here and found that there was no thread regarding the current crap in Matt's life, though I realize how silly it would be to have one. But the bad part was that all there was was a few comments in another thread about how it'll produce great music. It was a bit sick.

Ya I voted the first one. I'd rather Matt feel better about himself as a person than see him forcefully pump out music. It is true that tragedy does spark the artistic side in people, and Matt is no exeception, but the poor guy needs a break.

Well, i feel bad for the man. I myself have an anxiety disorder that I am currently recieving treatment for. It can be a totally debilitating thing at times. Once you have an anxiety attack you never want to have another one and its not something one can easily describe other than its bad. Having shitty things happen in you life certainly doesnt help the situation. I obviously have no idea to the cause of Matt's "breakdowns", just speaking from personal experience. But I will admit, it can produce some very interesting art as I have also found from personal experience.

i was the bastard that voted for the great music.

of course i hope that matt's okay.

but the idea that art is therapy is a fine concept.

and so far i've found the results of him dealing with all the things he's dealing with, at it's finest, profound, and at it's least inspired, genuinely entertaining.

so of course i hope he gets through this all as well and as soon as he can.

but if he happens to write yet another claustrophobic masterpiece while he's at it, i certainly won't complain.

why do i suddenly feel like a callous consumer?

I didn't vote because I didn't think any of these options described the way the situation makes me feel. It's terrible when things don't go well in life, but I think it makes you who you are. Whether or not things go terribly of wonderfully in your life, it's an exhilarating feeling to know that. So I guess what I'm saying is that I hate for him to see such hardships, but am excited for him go through this process of becoming more of who he will be as a person after these life altering experiences.

edit: I also agree with the above comment about art being therapy. I guess I could of chosen that one if you look at it that way. If this inspires great music, hopefully it will bring happiness, maybe even healing to the creator, which would make it a win-win situation.

Edited by Christing

I answered the first choice, for empathetic reasons. But my real answer probably lies somewhere between the first 2 to be honest.

And I too agree with the comment about art acting as therapy. It can do wonderful things. And if the best minds of the 20th century didnt use art as such, we may not have been priviledged with so many fien works.

It is intriguing that Matt can be having a break down, with so man followers you would think he could never feel alone. It is almost the premises of the film "Crash" millions of people all around you and yet your still alone. On the flip side anyone can have a break down for any reason at anytime. I know I have.

post-2-1160006101.jpg

I suffer from insomnia, much like Matt does/did, and add anxiety and stress and all that other shit on top of it, and it really wears you down and drags you down, so I know where he's coming from. It's not so bad that I'm up all night, rubbing my hands raw while pacing back and forth, but sometimes the littlest of things will just set me off and then I'm messed up for days afterwards.

As much as I love the music and would love to see what he comes out with next, the important thing is for him to put himself first and take care of himself the best he can, however he can. If that means writing a record and releasing and using that as part of his "therapy", then so be it, but if not, that's okay too, it's just important he feels better about things.

Well, i feel bad for the man. I myself have an anxiety disorder that I am currently recieving treatment for. It can be a totally debilitating thing at times. Once you have an anxiety attack you never want to have another one and its not something one can easily describe other than its bad. Having shitty things happen in you life certainly doesnt help the situation. I obviously have no idea to the cause of Matt's "breakdowns", just speaking from personal experience. But I will admit, it can produce some very interesting art as I have also found from personal experience.

I've had a few of those too but I found that each time I had one I was less susceptible to having another. once you're conscious of it it's easier to defuse.

I don't know what you're all talking about in terms of Matt's "breakdowns". I don't follow his personal life nor am I all that interested. But I definitely hope he can get past it

Why is this even a poll. Who voted the last option.

You think Matt would fake this all?

Jesus.

That being said, I voted the first one.

As long as things get better for him, I honestly couldn't care less if he ever produces a single piece of music ever again.

First and foremost he's a person.

I think its unnecessary to have a vote on this, I mean of course we all feel bad to see someone we idolise going through such a rough time, but on the same token do we not all hope that he pulls through and continues creating great music (whether or not that is influenced by his present predicament)?

Reading his blog is like watching a car crash...I don't want to read it but I can't help it.

Now, obviously this is all my opinion, but here's my 2 cents.

It seems lately Matt has become a lot more...Aware of how a lot of people are willing to pour him with attention and pity him and it seems as if he's feeling rather sorry for himself. I also think turning the comments off on his blog was to make it seem as if this wasn't the case. I don't have a blog, nor do I understand the whole blogging thing but it just seems as if Matt is starting to buy into what everyone has been saying for the last little while, he's crazy. It seems as if "crazy" has suddenly become fashionable. The way it's being portrayed it almost seems "trendy".

Having met Matt, even if only for a second, he seemed very nice and down to Earth but the persona he portrays online is one of a man that feels very sorry for himself.

I hope he gets his shit together...He's a great musician and of course you want him to be happy. It seems as if he's always been a bit eccentric, but he doesn't have to be "crazy". I think he's kind of losing himself right now and he kind of needs to find out what his roots are again. He's talented, funny, and fucking smart and doesn't need to pull this crazy shit.

I also don't doubt that he is depressed. He probably is, it just seems as if...as I have said, he is feeling rather sorry for himself and kind of as if being depressed or "crazy" is in fashion.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but hey, I answered the title of this thread.

Reading his blog is like watching a car crash...I don't want to read it but I can't help it.

Now, obviously this is all my opinion, but here's my 2 cents.

It seems lately Matt has become a lot more...Aware of how a lot of people are willing to pour him with attention and pity him and it seems as if he's feeling rather sorry for himself. I also think turning the comments off on his blog was to make it seem as if this wasn't the case. I don't have a blog, nor do I understand the whole blogging thing but it just seems as if Matt is starting to buy into what everyone has been saying for the last little while, he's crazy. It seems as if "crazy" has suddenly become fashionable. The way it's being portrayed it almost seems "trendy".

Having met Matt, even if only for a second, he seemed very nice and down to Earth but the persona he portrays online is one of a man that feels very sorry for himself.

I hope he gets his shit together...He's a great musician and of course you want him to be happy. It seems as if he's always been a bit eccentric, but he doesn't have to be "crazy". I think he's kind of losing himself right now and he kind of needs to find out what his roots are again. He's talented, funny, and fucking smart and doesn't need to pull this crazy shit.

I also don't doubt that he is depressed. He probably is, it just seems as if...as I have said, he is feeling rather sorry for himself and kind of as if being depressed or "crazy" is in fashion.

Just my 2 cents...I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but hey, I answered the title of this thread.

This thread is aweful. It's not a question of agree or disagree it's a question of a man's personal mental health and I don't understand why this thread is not close. No one here knows enough about his recent problems to discuss it even I who speaks with him regularly. Plus, it is not our place to discuss it. I wouldn't even dare talking about his condition here. Why? Because it's none of my fucking business.

Someone please, close this shit. Mods have done it before with topics talking about Matt's personal life and even though he showed publicly that he is not feeling well, I think this subject should stop where Matt decided it would which is the information given on his blog. Nothing more. Especially in the case of answers like ccf23's.

Hey, if he's going to put it out there for the world to see, then it's his own fault if people start to talk about it. Of course I hope he's okay and of course you want him to be happy and healthy. There was a question asked and I answered it honestly. Of course it's all speculation, but if Matt doesn't want the attention, good or bad, he should keep that shit to himself. That's what happens on the internet, hon, people read it and people judge...It doesn't take a genius to figure that out and Matt's a smart enough guy to know that people are going to read the shit he's writing and think things. Good or bad. I love his music, that doesn't mean I don't think he seems to be a little wrapped up in himself at the moment.

It's all my opinion, just words. Yeah, it's speculation and yeah, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, but as I said...If you don't want people talking, don't put it out on the internet for millions of people to read. It's a natural human reaction to try and make sense of the things they see, hear, read, whatever. This is my opinion, don't like it? Too bad buttercup.

I have nothing to rebut what you said so I'm going make some kind of semi sarcastic comment to lump you in a vague stereotypical category.

Fixed it for ya.

Honestly buddy, it's time to stop looking at Matthew with rose coloured glasses. He gets the same respect as anybody else on this Earth and the fact is, if it was anyone else providing information for the world to read you'd have no problem with people digesting it as they will. The fact of the matter is, blogging is a choice...It's a diary of thoughts that you choose to make public. If you don't want people to react to it or if it's personal and you don't want to hear something you might hear, don't let the whole world have access to it. It's not as if someone stole MG's personal diary and put it up for the whole world to see. He makes concious decisions to post what he does. I'm sure he knows damn well that people reading it digest it in different ways, but it's some kind of taboo to say anything? We have as much of a right to react to it as he has to write it.

Just because Matthew is "famous" does not mean it should be a case of "Okay, well, it's Matt so we better not say anything about it".

I presented my opinion and I stick by it. I also stated that I hope MG is okay and he ends up happy and healthy.

If I'm going to be asked for my honest opinion don't cringe when you get it.

He gets the same respect as anybody else on this Earth and the fact is, if it was anyone else providing information for the world to read you'd have no problem with people digesting it as they will.

So that's a fact?

He gets the same respect as anybody else on this Earth and the fact is, if it was anyone else providing information for the world to read you'd have no problem with people digesting it as they will.

So that's a fact?

Obviously I can't tell you what you feel but I would hope you wouldn't have a problem with people reacting to what other people make public. I mean, it's not as if we live in some kind of oppressive society where our opinions on what we see, hear, and read should be censored...Or maybe they should be?

Way to dodge my response again. Do you have any real rebuttal to anything I have said or are you just going to keep on with your sycophantic dribble?

I just don't see the point in arguing with you...I've done it before argue with people like you and I'm not going to do it again, dodging is easier and more fun.

So this is my final response to you, good day

I say good day!

I just don't see the point in arguing with you...I've done it before argue with people like you and I'm not going to do it again, dodging is easier and more fun.

So this is my final response to you, good day

I say good day!

Fair enough, you just said it all...You're pretty 1337 at this whole message board thing man.