Guest jjazz

I thought it was pretty weak, for a finale.

I understand everyone is going to take something different away from the ending, but it didn't do it for me. Way too many plot holes, questions unanswered. They covered their ass by basically saying "it all happened so it could lead up to this (the funeral) but now that we're here it doesn't matter why and how everything else happened."

What irritates me is how the show tried to apply logic to the first 5 and a half seasons, and tried to explain what the illogical was and why it was happening on the island, and then finally just said "fuck it, we'll wrap up all the couples storylines in a fairytale ending in a matter of 2 and half hours and we'll let you interpret the rest because we dug ourselves into a hole so deep we can't even begin to think of a way to climb our way out of it."

Not to mention all the characters remembering the island happened the exact same way essentially. All you had to do was see who was in the scene, and go take a piss knowing they were going to reunite and everything would turn out all peachy keen.

Not a bad ending at all. I can live with it, and I understand the moral. Shit happens, it's the people you meet and the acts of personal sacrifice and courage along the way that's what matters the most. But for a show that set itself up as something different and so extraordinary, the payoff was a copout and incredibly disappointing to the people that invested 6 years of their life watching the show.

And I think that the moral applies to the viewers and the show in the sense that yes, it was incredibly entertaining and we saw some of the greatest television programming of our time. We laughed, we cried, and in the end it wasn't the finale that was important, it was all the bullshit in between that we should remember.

Bleh. Still disappointed, man.

ben's not ready to die? wtf?

seems like everyone gave up at the end..that was a brutal finish. Years on the island = well don't matter. just seems like a slap in the face.

ps - hi richard welcome to 2008? or whatever enjoy..

at least there won't be a movie !

Guest jjazz

Such a cop out. And now instead of dealing with the real questions on the show, they've left us to our own devices. They're all drinking champagne and laughing while we're sitting at our computers wondering why Miles wasn't in a church.

Ok, i haven't been able to post in this topic ever because i've always been behind on the series by about a season always trying to catch up with the new TV episodes that air but i never was able to do so. So i haven't obviously watched the finale and have no idea how the series ends. But i will now make some predictions.

I have downloaded the last season and now only have to watch the 2nd-last episode and the series finale. I just watched the episode that reveals the background of Jacob and the Black Smoke guy & how they came to be etc. and them growing up as kids. Sun and Jin are now dead too, i believe leaving only, Hugo, Claire, Jack, Kate, Sawyer alive from the original cast (along with the kids Aaron and Walt...and the dog too i think lol).

As for my prediction on the ending of the series (i will probably be wrong somehow but oh well):

- The Jacob/Black Smoke Guy origin episode revealed a lot, including some key themes. The game Jacob and Black Smoke play features black and white pieces, obviously referring to good and evil which each of the brothers represent. Jack found the bag of rocks at the cave back in season 1. Walt and Locke also played the backgammon game in season 1, with some talk about the "black and white" theme i remember. I haven't forgotten about Walt and have been wondering for awhile where he plays into the series story, since there was a big focus on him being "special" in the 1st few seasons. Not sure if they bring him back into the show for the finale but they should.

The show i think can end in 3 ways: 1)the whole island story is resolved somehow, with the Jacob/Black Smoke Guy (ill call him "BSG) conflict ending & the remaining people getting off the island somehow w/ maybe the island sinking or being destroyed or something. 2) Everyone somehow manages to get their lives transported into the "alternate reality" where the plane never crashes, and therefore everyone lives and we get a happy ending, or 3) we get an ending where the current Jacob/BSG conflict is resolved, but another conflict begins and the island continues on with Jack as the new protector (this my guess).

- Jack i think is obviously going to be chosen to replace Jacob and protect the island. He's one of the 4 main characters of the show (Sawyer, Jack, Kate, and Locke always have been the 4 main characters), Jack has always been the leader, and Jack has shown he doesn't want to leave the island and thinks he "belongs here" to do something. This very interestingly stands in contrast to Sawyer, the other alpha-male of the show, who has always wanted to leave, and is VERY keen on trying to leave now, but interestingly has never been able to leave the island after several attempts (the raft with Michael & Jin, jumping out of the plane, the sub that blew up & killed Sun/Jin/Sayid). So Sawyer reminds me of BSG, who wants to leave so bad but can't.

- So my main prediction is that Jack replaces Jacob to permanently protect the island (he represents the "white" game piece, or "good"), and Sawyer replaces the Black Smoke Guy somehow (he represents the "black" piece aka bad.) and the cycle continues. Sawyer & Jack have always fought for leadership and over Kate etc. so this conflict could continue on the island like the Jacob/BSG conflict w/ Sawyer wanting to leave, & Jack protecting.

- Kate just got shot, i think she will die of infection because she's been crossed off the list and the island "no longer needs her". Hugo is still alive just because fans love him, but i dont see him playing a vital role in the grand scheme. He could die or somehow get off the island. Claire still has some important role to play but i just don't know what it is. I say she eventually dies and her mom looks after Aaron.

- These alternate-reality "flashbacks" of Season 6 i still dont know how they fit into the grand scheme. But that Asian ghost-talker guy said to Sawyer after Juliet died that Juliet said "it worked", aka the hydrogen bomb idea making the plane not crash.

- if some people do get off the island, its either through the magic teleporter at the bottom of the well, or they take the plane (i think Lepetis the pilot is still alive).

- The other key theme, besides the "black and white rocks", that has occurred throughout the series is the "fate/destiny" theme (ie: Locke vs Jack). I'm sure this will be dealt with more, but impossible to predict anything with it.

*I'll come back in a few days when i'm done watching the last 2 episodes of the series and see how wrong i was LOL.

What irritates me is how the show tried to apply logic to the first 5 and a half seasons, and tried to explain what the illogical was and why it was happening on the island, and then finally just said "fuck it, we'll wrap up all the couples storylines in a fairytale ending in a matter of 2 and half hours and we'll let you interpret the rest because we dug ourselves into a hole so deep we can't even begin to think of a way to climb our way out of it."

I just finished watching the finale. I agree with you, part of what made the show great in the earlier seasons was that so many strange things happened, but they were all explained in some logical way.

The 1st two seasons of the show were gold. The best television i've ever watched in my life. Season 3 was quality, but not quite like the first 2. From Season 3 the show progressively got worse. I'm sure most of the good writers/producers must have left. Seasons 4, 5, and 6 were meh. 5 was probably the worst of them all, the whole time-travelling thing was when the show just finally threw up its hands and said "blah fuck any sort of sense. Exploring the Dharma years would be cool lets do it!".

The series finale was pretty good up until the very end with the whole church bullshit and Jack`s dad wasn`t in the casket and they were all ghosts or some shit. I mean really??? That's how you wrap up 6 seasons? With a vague crappy ending and everyone dead with some mysterious light they are heading too? I liked the reunion, but where the hell was Michael and Walt?

I can except what the island was, just some island that had powerful energy properties. And Daniel Faraday's mom said there other pockets like it throughout the world. But what the hell was that big stone plug for the light? Who put that there? How did the woman who raised Jacob get on the island and know all the secrets?

I could have lived with the unexplained island questions if there was a more satisfying ending. It would have been better if they all somehow managed to get zapped to their "alternate reality" lives via some shit Jack & Desmond did and where the plane never crashed but they still retained their memories of the island, and they were all still alive. That would have been a more satisfying and less vague/confusing/stupid ending.