HoboFactory

North Korea Tests Its First A-bomb

Theres also just the little matter of confirming these allegations. As far as i can tell no third party has been able to confirm that indeed a nuclear device was set off underground? So i guess until we can get confirmed third party info are we jumping the gun here?

Japanese seismographs detected a huge jump in readings at the time the nuke went off, in the same location, where there is no major fault line and earthquakes rarely, if ever, take place. I'd say it's confirmed.

There's confirmation of the event from seismologists from a few different nations. The thing is, some estimates of the yield of the blast suggest it was probably only half a kiloton. This actually means it's possible the event in question could have been a detonation of a hell of a lot of conventional explosives. If the other estimates are correct, which say it was a 1-2 kiloton (some say even 15) blast, it'd definitely be a nuclear device. Apparently, there's a lot of data to analyze and they would probably need to have a look at the movement around the test-site, see if they find out what was going on there prior to the blast.

and the difference between the us's reaction to this and to iraq might just have something to do with iraq having had a joke of an army and korea not being a joke. schoolyard bullies don't run their mouths as loud around the bigger kids.

my blood pressure has gone down since ceasing to watch cnn (hnn). i also have no idea what's going on with brangelina anymore.

And the fact that his Daddy didn't already start a war with N.Korea.

I thought China had previously supported North Korea? Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

if it wasnt for China, the Korea War would have been finished in 1951, but then China helped out North Korea to the tune of 100,000+ troops to push back the Allied Forces in North Korea.

as for my two cents worth on the matter? am i scared about this? no, not really. I dont think that the dear leader Kim Jong-il will ever use them, he just more fear. He already has 1,000 artilary guns pointed at Seoul.

I am more worried about India and Pakastan. They both hate each other. They both have nuclear weapons that can hit each other. They have been at war with each other 4 times. and finally, they have a reason to go to war with each other, Kashmir. I have my money on them, they are just one good "terrorist" attact away from war.

Theres also just the little matter of confirming these allegations. As far as i can tell no third party has been able to confirm that indeed a nuclear device was set off underground? So i guess until we can get confirmed third party info are we jumping the gun here?

Japanese seismographs detected a huge jump in readings at the time the nuke went off, in the same location, where there is no major fault line and earthquakes rarely, if ever, take place. I'd say it's confirmed.

There's confirmation of the event from seismologists from a few different nations. The thing is, some estimates of the yield of the blast suggest it was probably only half a kiloton. This actually means it's possible the event in question could have been a detonation of a hell of a lot of conventional explosives. If the other estimates are correct, which say it was a 1-2 kiloton (some say even 15) blast, it'd definitely be a nuclear device. Apparently, there's a lot of data to analyze and they would probably need to have a look at the movement around the test-site, see if they find out what was going on there prior to the blast.

This is exactly what I heard.

I think, like most leaders with nukes, Kim Jong il is a megalomaniac, i think the worst response is giving him all this attention! He no doubt needs to be watched, but making it into this huge fiasco, which is so typical of corporate media, is playing right into what i think Kim wants. This, to me, especially without ALL the evidence, is just another way to sensationalize.

While fifteen thousand tons of TNT to fake a nuclear test is unlikely, it is possible. Presumeably a nuclear reaction will cause a more immediate impulse shockwave than lots of conventional explosives piled up (the explosive propagation is much faster, like the difference between a dynamite blasting charge and a Composition-4 door strip). But it's difficult to estimate the explosive yield and nature of a blast via seismic readings anyway. Soil composition across thousands of kilometers will distort it, and it would take one hell of alot of data regarding composition and water saturation to sort that out...

I am become death, shatterer of worlds.

Edited by Sparq

I'm so Ronery

So ronery

So ronery and sadry arone

There's no one

Just me onry

Sitting on my rittle throne

I work very hard to be number one guy

but, stiwr there's no one to right up my rife

Seems rike no one takes me serirousry

And so, I'm ronery

A rittle ronery

Poor rittle me

There's no one I can rerate to

Feewr rike a biwd in a cage

It's kinda siwry

but, not reawry

because, it's fiwring my body with rage

I'm the smartest, most crever, most physicawry fit

but, none of the women seem to give a shit

Maybe someday, they'wr awr notice me

And untiwr then, I'wr be ronery

Yeah, a rittle ronery

Poor rittle me...

This

might also be of some interest apparently there are no signs of radiation.

No signs of unusual radiation levels have been detected in South Korea after North Korea said it successfully detonated a nuclear device, the government said Thursday.

The Ministry of Science and Technology said none of the government's 38 manned and unmanned monitoring centers had picked up any spikes in natural radiation from Monday noon to Thursday morning. The usual levels of radiation in South Korea are 10-20 Micro-Roentgen (mR).

"The announcement is based on data collected around the clock," said Lee Mun-ki, head of the ministry's atomic energy bureau.

Detectors have been adjusted to pick up spikes in four key radioactive nuclides that can rise after a nuclear test has been conducted.

He said all levels of ruthenium-103, cesium-137, zirconium-95 and cerium-141 detected throughout the country during the period were normal and unchanged from the average in the past five years.

Edited by supercanuk

What on earth is Cerium?

Here' yah go mate!

Cerium is a silvery metallic element, belonging to the lanthanide group. It is used in some rare-earth alloys. It resembles iron in color and luster, but is soft, and both malleable and ductile. It tarnishes readily in the air. Only europium is more reactive than cerium among rare earth elements. Alkali solutions and dilute and concentrated acids attack the metal rapidly. The pure metal is likely to ignite if scratched with a knife. Cerium oxidizes slowly in cold water and rapidly in hot water.

Although cerium belongs to chemical elements group called rare earth metals, it is not rare at all. Cerium is available in relatively large quantities (68 ppm in Earth

Awsome article

There is still no confirmation, or publicly released evidence, that proves that North Korea exploded a nuclear device last weekend. Evidence is being collected and analysed by U.S. government agencies, and information is leaking out all the time
Edited by supercanuk