I would have posted this earlier but I'm been in a hurry today and under short notice with everything. Anyway:

Tonight in Hamilton. 9:00PM start. Five different venues supporting the local music scene. All playing at once. $5. Probably worth going--only problem is that they should have organized the genres a little better. Here they are (in order of appearance):

The Underground:

Jacome (comedy/acoustic)

Navy (pop-punk/rock)

Don Vail (indie/garage rock)

Sail Boats are White (dancy rock like The Rapture)

Surly Young Bucks (no idea who this band is)

The Casbah:

Drew Smith (acoustic)

A Northern Chorus (ambient/alternative)

The Nines (piano rock)

Marble Index (we know them)

Wax Mannequin (alternative/indie/rock [most potential to rock]

Afternoons in Stereo (Lounge) (jazz/funk)

Pepper Jack Cafe

Orphx (electrionica)

Electroluminscent (electronica/ambient)

hEAT (hip-hop/ambient}

MJ/Kae Sun (hip hop)

Absinthe

Lovebolt (no idea)

Hewit (very coldplay/keane esque)

Starside (pop-punk)

Astroknaughts (indie with a bit of ska)

Cities in Dust (dancy rock like Hot Hot Heat)

Corktown

Tell The Divers (math rock)

Hoosier Poet (post-hardcore with bits of math)

Inflation Kills (melodic math rock)

Pantychrist (punk/riot grrrl)

Sam Lawrence 5 (punk)

I think the safest pick is to go to The Casbah. If Corktown had more math rock/post rock bands, it probably would have won me over but lost me with the punk rawk headliners. Absinthe is a safe choice too--probably my second choice. The Underground is hard to say--especially when I don't know who the headliner is. And well the Pepper Jack bands are for the fans of teh beats.

Toodles.

Great show. Only problem was that the show really ended late (2:30AM) and I couldn't keep myself up (was up at 7AM).

Drew Smith: typical acoustic rock--one of those performances where the crowd talks the whole way through it. He was okay.

A Northern Chorus: Easily the best band musically. A cross between Sigur Ros and The Arcade Fire I would say. Vocals could have been stronger but very, very strong musicianship.

The Nines: Sounded like an upbeat Ben Folds Five. They were pretty good but I thought they were on way too long. A guy who was with me was basically his favourite local band and he died during their set.

The Marble Index: Not the greatest band musically but there's no doubt that they can put on a great show, probably the most enjoyable of the night. The singer was ridiculously intoxicated which ruined his vocal ability but I admired his effort.

Wax Mannequin: Came on at 1:30AM. I was so tired but I wasn't going to leave that performance. Very solid performance. The guy has potential to be a poor man's Mike Patton (not to mention that he did have a great diverse voice).

Worth it for $5 plus got a compiliation double disc that feautured 32 Hamilton bands for free. ONLY problem is that the show ended when it ended and I had to pay $8.50 for a taxi as it was my only means of transportation. Oh well.