hum-an-ole

Habeas Corpus Abolished

I'm surpised no one else has posted about this.

The bill of rights has been destroyed and yet no one seems to care. It really worries me that something so significant has gone hardly noticed. It seems people these days are no longer capable of focusing on anything of substance, unless for pure entertainment. Has the world truly gone mad?... Actually, I already know the answer to that question...

The real query here is: when will people wake up out of their dream worlds where the next episode of survivor deserves more attention than our rights as human beings?

Is anyone else here as disturbed as I am by this?...

The only comfort I take is that the bill of rights is not technically abolished until the President or Secretary of Defence announces that it is, for some specific (poor, sorry) soul. It will be very difficult to keep that quiet.

This may manage to escape the notice of the American public while used against foreigners, but if ever applied to an American citizen, the militias that so strongly believe in the 2nd Amendement would likely start marching, possibly also with some other, less violent folks.

It is egregious, and sad that the Congress passed it, and the Senate allowed it, but let us hope that its abuse against the country's own citizens, at least, will result in a Second Revolution. What other solution would there be?

Indeed but with the advent of Bill C-34, we too are under tyrannous conditions. The state can now COMPEL you to testify, so throw your right not to testify out the window, they can hold refugee's and non-citizens without charge indefinitely and they have, see the security certificate 5. Also the term "terrorist" is so broadly defined here ( and internationally it seems) that anyone actively engaging their political rights can be labeled a terrorist.

All one needs to look at is the West Coast warriors, who, im sure not everyone would agree on their tactics, but whose homes were raided and refused the right to know on what grounds the warrants for the raid's were given. This is a Canadian right, stripped away from Canadian citizens. There is also increased secrecy within the government, our Freedom to Information Act rights are being arbitrarily stripped away.

More information is being gathered on us:

( see the creation by Canada Customs and Revenue Agency of a data bank to contain details on foreign air travel of all Canadians. This amendment gave the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency power to obtain information collected by airlines as a result of the Advance Passenger Information/Passenger Name Record Initiative. While it was originally only to keep passenger information for a twenty four hour period, CCRA now confirms the data is being kept for six years. This information can be shared with other countries and security agencies.)

I wrote an editorial about this in fact very issue in Canada for the October Agitator (the student newspaper i work for) so i'll post the online copy here if anyone is interested.

Anyway, welcome to the dark hole that is oppression.

Don't let the boot hit you in face too often.

canadian, so i dont care. i know the canadian rights.

I'd really suggest looking at Bill C-34 The anti-terror bill and check out what it's made, i.e. it's spin off's practically. It's no longer so safe to just say " i'm Canadian citizen so im covered" because all kinds of rights have been stripped from Canadian citizens.

In relation to what Crusader said, take the Arar scandal, Canadian citizen, deported to Syria. But no doubt there are other Muslims who are Canadian citizens that are on the terror list without the ability to challenge why they are on that list since they are blocked from seeing the evidence against them. This is totally insane in a democractic society, seeing the evidence against you is a BASIC fundamental justice principal that has been shat on and flushed down the toilet. I dont know about you guys, but I dont want to have a lay-over ( because im never going to the states unless im forced) in some American state and be "randomly" searched and then questioned for hours on end. But anyway... important issues, that deserve thoughtful discussion.

ok so i dont look like a total idiot. but still an idiot. but like i said, i dont care, im not worried about being arrested, so it doesnt apply to me in a way.

but that arar thing, that sucked. poor guy and his family.

ok so i dont look like a total idiot. but still an idiot.

haha dude, you're no idiot. I dont think the Canadian citizenry has been properly informed of what has happened, and this could be done on purpose. Because of course, telling Canadian's of their loss of civil liberties helps the terrorists.. don't cha know.. ;)

But yah, i dont think anyone really expects to be arrested (except of course maybe the crazies or ones who think they can get away with a crime) but it happens unexpectedly all the time, so watch your backs folks, cause the boy's in blue are commin for you! :angry:

Nobody knows because they're not saying anything about it on the bloody news!

Bingo.

Although one night on CBC I did see a little bit about the issues stated above in relation to the Arar case, they had a panel of people on for all of half an hour. Hardly the amount of time necessary to even get into the topic let alone have a decent discussion of the issues at hand. I was dissapointed.

It's really a shame that I have to come on to a messege board, albeit, a Canadian messege board to get any world political/government information before I see it in the news. But, I did see an hour long police chase today! I just love cable *feeling all warm inside*.

This is pretty much how the Ralph Nadar speech went at my University the other day. He first begins by bashing Bush for the Militant Commission Act and how he is violating the Genova Conventions creating anti-american feelings around the world and reducing the the roles of the Congress and Judical Branch by allowing more power to be placed under the Executive Branch. He then bashs Liberman for agreeing with the war with Iraq and agree with the MCA. He blames the Democrats for allowing these behaviors to continue, he even there is a majority of Republicans in the Congress he still blames the Democrats for not calling the Republicans out on these acts and legislation that they are passing. He of course advises people to "think green" then he got into law stuff that he was directing to the Law school students so i was a little lost. I felt he got his point across he said he wouldnt run for a national office come 2008.

What amazed me most was students texting away on their cell phones. Why would you go if you did not want to be there. That is another issue for another time. see ya