Prometheon

The Prestige

Designate, I highly agree. I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan and the two principal actors so I suppose that I was naturally inclined to enjoy the film.

That said, I also quite like Edward Norton and Rufus Sewell (who played the prince in The Illusionist) and I was dissapointed to see Edward Norton playing so badly a rather dull character to begin with. Rufus Sewell was criminally underused (though nonetheless awesome) but I found myself unmoved by the story or any of the other characters. I wanted to enjoy it, but ultimately didn't.

Though the two "magician movies" are really nothing alike, only one of them is on my 'to watch again' list.

Yeah, I wouldn't compare the two. It's just that they came out around the same time and had to do with magic but that's pretty much it. I like Edward Norton a lot as well but I agree his performance was a bit disappointing.

The prestige wsa much better, i thought. I love Norton, but i found the Illusionist to be rather easy to guess, maybe not all the details, but the over all end i thought was easy to guess. The prestige, however, i found to be way more mesmerizing, from the directing right down to the damn good pay off at the end. Bravo Mr. Nolan.

Yeah, for some reason Norton's performance in The Illusionist reminded me of his performance in American History X. Obviously the characters were totally different, but a lot of his mannerisms (and his crying) were very very similar.

The Prestige is much better than The Illusionist in my opinion.

To me, it seemed as if The Prestige screenplay made its way to one company, who liked it but couldn't arrive at a contractual agreement, so they passed on it and cranked out The Illusionist--which came out a bit before The Prestige, but it was pretty apparent that it was thrown together kind of quickly, as the "twist" seemed barely thought out, along with the casting (I like Norton, but supported by Paul Giamatti and Jessica Biel? Bleh.)

As for actors who play the same role in every film, that's exactly how I feel about Paul Giamatti. At the beginning of the Illusionist, I bet all my worldly belongings that he would play an assistant or servant to someone, and two seconds later he was shown giving a report to the prince. Jesus Christ.

SPOILER (Highlight to View)
Just my 2 cents.
Edited by NotFromOklahoma

I saw The Prestige the other day, I didn't know the ending or anything and I still saw it from the hints. It was pretty clear that it was going to be at least someone who looked like him. It was still a good movie though.

I watched it again recently, then again. It stands up to the test of time and obsession. I thought it was even better because they don't just give you hints about the ending the whole way through, they basically tell you the whole time. Even within the first, I'd say seven seconds, you can figure it out. Which I think makes it that much cooler.

david bowie was telsa(who's like the most awesome and important guy in the world) was really amazing I didn't recognize him.

the movie was pretty good the end was "kinda" lame but overall much better more interesting than the norton flick. Best movie in a long time is ahuge stretch but it was enjoyable.

I thought it was pretty good (I'll agree with the "better than The Illusionist" consensus)... but I still wasn't particularly amazed or overwhelmed. Maybe it's because I hate everything, but still, it was worth seeing, it's even recommendable.