i_the_throw_away

Which Hit Is Better?

Which MGB Song is better?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which MGB Song is better?

• Apparitions
    • Strange Days

Alright, here's my attempt to rationalize favouring one of two spectacular songs. There's a distinction in tone between the two, both in language and music, and also in the music videos. (Apparitions is a bunch of people bullshitting themselves and Strange Days is just unfortunate. Pulling the trigger against stepping in front of a van?)

Strange Days is powerful in illustrating the idea and feeling, but because of this it's also more passive. At the end you're left with a picture and perhaps your personal [deep?] interpretation.

Apparitions is weighted more heavily to the challenging tones. MG drives the reaction to you, the listener. The questions in Strange Days are more rhetorical than those in Apparitions. The music is paced similarly but "Say hello," comes right for you at the beginning, where Strange Days enters and fades slowly.

My gut feeling was for Apparitions because it has that edge, although that preference for distinction could be personal. It's classic and definitive alone, where Strange Days is more a member of the cohesive unit that is Beautiful Midnight.

I enjoy all of Matt's songs, but I have to admit that "strange days", while a popular hit, is one of his best pieces of work. Not only the song, but the video, (the video is brilliant on many subtle levels, I am under the impression that Matt was the main force behind the video). Please let me know if I am wrong in my assumption, as the true creator deserves much "creative" applause. It should come has a side note that typing in "M" for artists on the Muchmusic website, does not reveal Matt at all. They list "Massari" and "Master P" but not a brilliant canadian tallent such as "matthew good". Their are too many bands out there that deserve mention and get no recognition, I know that.... but the fact that Matt gets no consideration on the "nations" only music station makes me sick to my stomach.

It should come has a side note that typing in "M" for artists on the Muchmusic website, does not reveal Matt at all. They list "Massari" and "Master P" but not a brilliant canadian tallent such as "matthew good". Their are too many bands out there that deserve mention and get no recognition, I know that.... but the fact that Matt gets no consideration on the "nations" only music station makes me sick to my stomach.

I definitely agree with you. There are many times where I have gone to Muchmusic to look up something on Matthew Good and I will get things from way back (beautiful midnight era). MG has done soo many great things since then and it would be rare to see any songs of his playing on Muchmusic, other than perhaps Strange Days or Hello Time Bomb, and you would be even lucky to catch that. I guess he gets more radio play than anything, but then again I can