I'd say Rammstein's Till Lindemann. Although best known for deep, harsh vocals, he's actually a really good singer. Has a very powerful voice, very expressive. Rammstein's softer songs show off his range. Not quite like anything I've heard from other rock bands.

i'd have to say either mike patton or maynard james keenan.

patton because of his range. listen to early FNM and the dude is singing really high... "from out of nowhere" is a good example. but he also shows his range off in the same song, like tomahawk's "point and click". and the thing i really like about him is that he's very open and willing to experiment. to him, his voice IS an instrument: he's not afraid of screaming or using his voice for percussive purposes as opposed to just singing. he's also been copied so much that it'd be hard to not put him on here.

i like MJK's voice a lot and its effect on me. its kindof hard to say why i like it. it's just different. but he has this incredible ability to belt out notes... he's got great projection. he also has quite the vocal range, and uses it to his advantage. he's become very good at doing more than just yelling, but dont get me wrong, for a time, that worked really well too.

Maynard (even though he's gone downhill with age, as expected)

you think so? have you seen the man live lately?

ah. i remember a time when i would have said chris cornell for this thread. wow. what a difference a few years of suck makes.

Nate Ruess of The Format

I guess because it's the only voice that I have heard that made me stop and listen to the songs. Although I can't argue with Jim Cuddy either.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

I saw Tool Twice this year. I think he's been sick or something, but even the vocals on 10,000 Days (the album) don't stack up to say... the vocals on thirteenth step, though there is a 3 year difference. Just listen to Undertow, he has a crazy raw/awesome sound going.

No particular order:

Matt Good

Chris Martin

Dave Matthews

Ben Harper

Geddy Lee

Edwin(I Mother Earth)

Jeff Keith

The Girls from Veruca Salt

Sammy Hagar

David Lee Roth

James Hetfield

Dave Mustaine

Raine Miada

Maynard James Keenan

Gavin Rossdale

Trent Reznor

I could go on and on...

Edited by bishopx

Matthew Good - Best male vocalist in Canada

Dallas Green - Second Best male vocalist in Canada

Maynard James Keenan - Listen to Lateralus, you'll know why

Josh Homme - Not the greatest but gets the job done every single time

Serj Tankian - Fuck Daron

Roger Waters - Fuck David Gilmore

I'll put in a good word for Dallas Green's voice as well, especially recently. I much prefer his backing Alexis to what he did with City And Colour.

I saw Tool Twice this year. I think he's been sick or something, but even the vocals on 10,000 Days (the album) don't stack up to say... the vocals on thirteenth step, though there is a 3 year difference. Just listen to Undertow, he has a crazy raw/awesome sound going.

that rawness is also due to the production... the whole band sounds a lot more "raw" and less polished. but i cant really see how his voice has deteriorated over the years in a way that makes him any less listenable. i mean, obviously your voice isnt going to be a static thing, undertow came out 13 years ago. my voice has changed quite a bit in 13 years.... his at least has some consistency (unlike some contemporaries). he's also taken a much different approach to singing now than he did those 13 years ago; all he used to do was yell (not knocking it by any means), so obviously it sounds more viceral.

Seeing as "virtuoso" implies a great deal of inherent natural talent, I'm going to have to add another vote to the Mike Patton camp.

Of course, if you go back in history just a bit, it's not allowed to overlook Janis Joplin.

Thom York does have a pretty decent range, and okay control ... Gord Downie has some pretty impressive abilities (and an absolutely irrepressible stage presence). Maynard Keenan, certainly. I dunno.

If we're just talking about stuff we like, then I'm all over Matt Mays, Joel Plaskett and Jeff Tweedy, lately.

Btw, no one mentioned Matthew Bellamy of Muse, that guy has some serious lungs!

Also, although Chris Cornell suck these days, I still consider him as a good vocalist, although his voice now is nothing compared to Temple Of The Dog for example.

Edited by Designate

Btw, no one mentioned Matthew Bellamy of Muse, that guy has some serious lungs!

Also, although Chris Cornell suck these days, I still consider him as a good vocalist, although his voice now is nothing compared to Temple Of The Dog for example.

even before temple... he could really hit some high notes. now it just sounds like he's gargling on vomit. live, at least. but he's getting better. his songwriting however, is not.