Beside the obvious male singer, I submit Erika Amato of the LA-based indie band Velvet Chain (who?).

She has a wonderful range, can really hit high notes, sounds perfectly at ease with ballads, straight-ahead rockers, jazz standards, to name a few styles. Too bad they've got so little exposure but the band is very creative and her voice is just beautiful to listen to (plus she and her husband, the band's bassist Jeff Stacey, definitely have a gift for songwriting).

Give them a try sometime if you like -> check out <www.velvetchain.com> for song samples (and consider one of their 'Custom Albums', a very cool concept).

Matt Good

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden and earlier)

Hawksley Workman

i like Ian Thornley's voice, too. kinda reminds me of old Cornell.

i also gotta put in an honorable mention for David Bowie. how the hell that man kept his voice so good for so long is amazing.

Edited by cweb

Matt Good

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden and earlier)

Hawksley Workman

i like Ian Thornley's voice, too. kinda reminds me of old Cornell.

i also gotta put in an honorable mention for David Bowie. how the hell that man kept his voice so good for so long is amazing.

<3 Chris Cornell and Hawksley Workman.

I love voices that are so distinct and original, you can pick them out in a second. I've noticed lately that there's a lot of singers that just sound like some other band... It's annoying as hell.