hum-an-ole

Youtube Videos

Some of the humor was over the top...but at the core it was a pretty realistic portrayal of that life...CHeck out the christmas episode, focus on the younger brother's issues with Santa Claus...and you'll get a pretty accurate view of how most inner city kids, with very little money feel about Santa...

Edited by bishopx

Guest Prosis

Ahh now I get the point of the show.

The problem is that this reality isn't present in Quebec so, I didn't understand the point of the show except all the use of the words bitch, fuck and nigga. But now I get it! ;)

Yeah, I took exception to the language in the beginning...but after watching a couple of episodes, the connection was easily made. I understand how it would be difficult to make the connection from where you sit. Having started on the silver spoon side of the fence and then ending up on the other, the change was hard to connect with for me. Eventually, you adjust. I remember a number of Christmases after I turned 8, that left me feeling like "Riley". Santa definitely owed. I didn't carry the anger though, it just made me more determined to get things myself, with no expectations from others.

Edited by bishopx

Guest Prosis

Well that's one of my main problems with Santa...my parents never made me believe in Santa Claus. Not because we were poor or anything, just because they didn't think it was fair to "lie" to us.

But had I been too poor to give presents to my kids, I would have refrained from doing so as well because there's too much risk the kid is going to end up like Riley or even feel like no matter what he does, he always ends up being too naughty (which would eventually lead to a "well fuck it, what's the point" frame of mind).