Moonlight_Graham

New Liberal Leader Dion A Dual-citizen! Thoughts?

I think its nuts to have a potential PM with duel citizenship, and to all places France! I personally don't think duel-cizitenship should even be allowed, you should choose your country of choice & pledge allegiance to only 1.

Anyways, i don't like that Dion was 2 citizenships, he should reneg his French citizenship. Could score him points in Quebec though since this guy is about as french as you can get without being a seperatist.

Also heard one of the other candidates for the Liberal leadership had lived outside of Canada for 30 years!

mod-edit: fixed spelling of dual.

Edited by Crusader

I don't really mind that he holds duel citizenship, a lot of people do these day's, my girlfriend's sister has British citizenship and Canadian. To me even if he were PM having duel citizenship doesn't really bother me either, especially because it's France.. i mean.. c'mawwn. Their not going to do anything wild and wacky for a while so it's not like there would be a huge problem. When it comes to deals with the French, maybe there's a conflict of interest there. Although I dont mind all this, because i dont believe in pledging allegiance to any state. I think though that most Canadians will be rubbed the wrong way by this, and it will probably be a major downfall for him election time.

Okay seriously I don't get the whole deal with people reacting so harshly to dual citizenship.

Please, let go of the fallacies that

a) he will somehow put France's interests above Canada's

b) that such a situation will arise, and

c) that getting rid of his French citizenship will make him physically incapable of fullfilling condition a.

I don't really mind that he holds duel citizenship, a lot of people do these day's, my girlfriend's sister has British citizenship and Canadian. To me even if he were PM having duel citizenship doesn't really bother me either, especially because it's France.. i mean.. c'mawwn.

i just think the fact that its France is weird, because of the giant french/quebec conundrum in this country.

If he was Canadian, grew up in Quebec, and has a dual-citizenship with Zimbabwe it would be different.

Does anyone know how long he lived in France & when?

I don't really mind that he holds duel citizenship, a lot of people do these day's, my girlfriend's sister has British citizenship and Canadian. To me even if he were PM having duel citizenship doesn't really bother me either, especially because it's France.. i mean.. c'mawwn.

i just think the fact that its France is weird, because of the giant french/quebec conundrum in this country.

If he was Canadian, grew up in Quebec, and has a dual-citizenship with Zimbabwe it would be different.

He's never lived there from what I know. His mother was from France and he was born in Canada, which makes him eligible for the dual citizenship. He said he's kept it out of love and respect for his mother. It was apart of him when he was born.

He's never lived there from what I know. His mother was from France and he was born in Canada, which makes him eligible for the dual citizenship. He said he's kept it out of love and respect for his mother. It was apart of him when he was born.

thats what i heard when he was interviewed on The National last night. If he never even lived there then to me its not a problem.

But it would be another story if a guy lived in another country for 10-15 years & had citizenship there.

But it would be another story if a guy lived in another country for 10-15 years & had citizenship there.

so what your saying is your going to be against me when i'm prime minister in 25 years? I lived in England for 10 years.

The level of stupidity in this thread is truly astounding. Who gives 2 shits if he has DUAL citizenship, it's foolish and paranoid to think that it would make any difference to how the country is run. But really, thanks for coming out, please leave your tinfoil hat at the door.