Crusader

Ask Geoff ( Memorial Thread )

Which is sad because you're an awesome bass player...actually, your bass playing played a huge part in me liking MGB at first and I always felt the bass was lacking a bit post Beautiful Midnight.

What do you mean though by "rubbed me the wrong way" you just didn't like the way you had to play or the songs?

;) Thanx. That really means a lot to me!!!

I play like me or I don't play. Does that make sence???

I like to play melodically and I was asked to play straight 8ths...I'm not a robot.

In a cover band if it's the bass part yes by all means but new, fresh music...no.

I probably would have entertained the idea if I was asked but I was told.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info :angry:

And you're welcome! It's the truth. I always loved how your fingers just slid on the strings, you made it seem super easy and melodic. Actually, you've turned me against plectrum bass playing lol (although I can do it :angry:). When I first picked up a bass, I tried Indestructible and gave it up and picked up a plectrum lol ;)

Edited by Who

Trust me...Bass Players get better chicks than keyboardists... ;) :angry: :angry:

I'm not married...yet...

I'll be doing a stand in for a friend's band for two nights in a couple of weeks...My girl has already seen the power of the sexy chocolate bass player in the dark glasses, and has decreed that I shall not stand on stage without her in the audience. :blink: (8) :unsure: :angry: :angry: (8) :D (8) :D

Edited by bishopx

Seriously. We all knew Matt was the talent and we were sidemen. Beautiful Midnight rubbed me the wrong way so I bailed.I was asked to play a certain way that wasn't natural for me and I left. Simple as that.

Thats very interesting, thanks for telling us that. I probably would have left too. Its not really a band if you are "told" how to play.

Matt doesn't seem like a "band" kind of guy. I don't want to sound like an MG suck-ass, but he has enough song-writing talent where touring with these musicians-for-hire like he's done recently seems a better fit, though it makes for a really fucking LAME concert.

Definitely...though Buffalo was pretty animated...mainly just because of the banter between he and the guitarist. Still, songs like, I'm A Window, Hello Time Bomb, etc...require some life...I'm mean literally, how can you not rock out???

Oh definitely! Although Stum, Blake and Peter sound pretty good (from what I can hear on Live at Massey Hall).

And as far as Matt being a band kind of guy, I think he's not simply because he likes being in control. A band is a collaboration kind of thing. He writes songs and know what he wants and how he wants it to sound and sometimes even to a small detail (remember when he wanted Dave to change the way he played a small part on the Sort of a Protest Song solo?).

It's not a bad thing at all because, as stated earlier, he's got the talent for it (and Hospital Music shows that). But it makes actual bandmates employees and that's not a band.

I can see your point Geoff...that can be said for the music industry down here as well.

I have to admit I'm happy for any opportunity to play, but even as a hired gun, I couldn't just be a bass wielding automaton. I get to into it. I liken it to the work I've been doing on my sister's demos... There's really no room in hip hop for me musically. Any dumb ass can program a drum machine, and mix in stuff. I like some hip hop, don't get me wrong...but when you've got a voice that can move a room, why package it in shit, when you can back it, with lush sounds and arrangements. Some of the more recent stuff we've recorded, she's agreed to more conventional arrangements.

I guess from that perspective, I can understand why someone might be lethargic on stage playing something they have no real connection to.

Edited by bishopx

That's EXACTLY why the Canadian music "scene" has failed.

Labels [indie or major] have signed an artist, took them aside and said that they have to axe certain members...

The artist is the one that was signed, not "the band".

Well it's exactly that kind of thinking that got Pete Best out of The Beatles too...but I get your thinking. That's exactly what happened with MGB as far as I understand it from Matt's posts, interviews and new Bio (the fact that he was responsible for the bands debts and was held responsible for its dissolution and blamed for the lack of success of his solo carreer, etc)...which sucks...

Record companies often are the thorn in the music industries side...they sort of shoot themselves in the foot.

She's 27, she's been around RI for several years...she's gotten a little airplay on the local stations, and been a runner up at the local American Idol auditions, for the last three years. She's going this year, with music that I chose, that she's been practicing.

She inherited my mom's voice(though not as powerful) still pretty good. I'm getting ready to post one of the earlier tracks we did on my Myspace at some point. She's got the kind of voice that could totally swing people on the old stuff, like Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, stylings...but is convinced that hip hop is the way to go.

Edited by bishopx

She's 27, she's been around RI for several years...she's gotten a little airplay on the local stations, and been a runner up at the local American Idol auditions, for the last three years. She's going this year, with music that I chose, that she's been practicing.

She inherited my mom's voice(though not as powerful) still pretty good. I'm getting ready to post one of the earlier tracks we did on my Myspace. She's got the kind of voice that could totally swing people on the old stuff, like Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, stylings...but is convinced that hip hop is the way to go.

I'm sorry if this is outta line but...and I can't,for the life of me, remember who said it but...

"Hip Hop is Rhythm and Blues for people who have neither."

No, wait it was "Disco"... :angry: Nevermind. :angry: ;)

As long as it's solid and everyone involved is groovin' don't let me rain on the parade... :angry:

I'm just a bitter jaded old man. ;)

anything and everything mg and mgb released might have well been released yesterday...it sounds so fresh and alive [i only 'knew' m and the mgb from the beginning of this year] so if that makes me a late starter so fucking what. he has totally blown my world apart; i am not sure whether to kiss or curse him right now but,hey, WTF... :angry: :angry: (8)