Crusader

Ask Geoff ( Memorial Thread )

I,personally don't listen to Nickleback...but I think the fact that those guys are gettin' everything "bad" compared to them is getting old.They did what they did and good on 'em!!!!Yes there are clones but I think every band is a clone of some other band.

Can this stop now???

A rush!!!!No drug can even come close!!!I'm not kidding.

What happens on the road....bla bla bla...

But I still want to say "sorry" to the poor girl at Barrymores in Ottawa whose hands I stomped on!!! You still had a smile on your face after the fact.

Yeah, I got dirty stories but I never cheated on anyone....ever!!!

Hey, I got a question fer you guys.....why, with all the CRAP on the radio, does music consume you???

My life revolves around music....how 'bout you???

Really good question. Personally, music is like breathing to me, it has to have some place in my life 24/7 whether it humming, listening, playing, writing, recording, etc.

As far as radio goes, I can't stand it to be quite honnest with you. Furthermore, I don't understand the enjoyment of the FM radio template. It is just that: a template.

I'm not the kind of guy to say that and pretend that nothing commercial is good and that only stuff that no one knows is valid. I do enjoy some commercial music and some lesser known artists. The only thing that matters is if the artist stands out and delivers something interesting both musically and lyrically. That's what I loved about Matthew is that he delivers both at the same time; killer songs, killer lyrics.

So yeah music is up there with love and oxygen for me.

Hey, I got a question fer you guys.....why, with all the CRAP on the radio, does music consume you???

I just don't listen to the radio.

I'm planning on making a living teaching music, so I guess my life revolves around music and will continue doing so (at least, that's the plan). I'm rather looking forward to it.

i was lucky enough to get into music during that brief period in the early nineties when what was on the radio wasn't that bad. now, for the most part i dig up the records that the musicians i have liked were influenced by, and often a record like that will stick... then i search out bands of a similar style... etc. it's a gruelling process. woe is me.

there's a surprising amount of new music out there that isn't terrible, and not even really all that obscure... just under the radar, but not that hard to find.

I'm really grateful for the internet. Without, I wouldn't have known most of the music I listen to these days, including MGB.

Yeah, I'm really terribly sorry if this sounds retarded because of my ignorace Shiri but what kind of music predominates music stores in Israel? Is it mostly local middle-east stuff or do you guys get a lot of worldwide music as well

For me as well, live shows bring a spark that doesn't happen with recorded music.

I think the difference now is that we old folks traded music in person; listening parties was a big way to hear new records and decide if you would buy it.

Now people browse songs in solitude.

So I *think* in the end the music doesn't have as much impact on life. For now it's pretty hard to find good new music you can really get into.

Yeah, I'm really terribly sorry if this sounds retarded because of my ignorace Shiri but what kind of music predominates music stores in Israel?

I have to throw something in here. I don't know how predominant it is, but Israel has produced both Astral Projection AND Infected Mushroom, who are some of the greats of the goa/psy trance genre. Also, Yahel, Alien Project, Space Cat, and Astrix. Go Israel.

Sorry to get off-topic but I read somewhere that Brian Byrne's solo record hit #1 in Isreal. If any of you guys remember I Mother Earth, he was the singer that replaced Edwin. It was shocking because he didn't seem to make a dent in the charts here I'm wondering how he got any sort of distrubution that that far away?

Sticking on topic:

Firstly Geoff, it's awesome that you're taking the time to answer our questions, no matter how dumb they might be. I remember reading somewhere that during the recording of Underdogs there were a few songs that didn't make it on the record, some recorded, some not. One of those not to have been recorded is the now famous "Should've Been A Super Villain". Just wondering if you could give us anything about songs that you remember jamming but not recording, or those that you maybe altered drastically while in the studio. Did you do any covers songs as warm up before recording?

I'm really grateful for the internet. Without, I wouldn't have known most of the music I listen to these days, including MGB.

Yeah, I'm really terribly sorry if this sounds retarded because of my ignorace Shiri but what kind of music predominates music stores in Israel? Is it mostly local middle-east stuff or do you guys get a lot of worldwide music as well

We really don't get any Middle-Eastern sort of music played on the radio here. Mostly what does well in Europe ends up in the radio here, a lot of pop and bands that get played on MTV as well as Israeli music (music in Hebrew).

Plus, yeah, people seem to know how to make Trance music here but I really don't know much about it.

And a fun fact: Radiohead was succeful in Israel and performed here before anyone gave a shit about them ;)

Edited by Designate