mrchipps

Matt Writing Songs For Other Artist

i think todd kerns should be in my bed being as busy as i want him to be.

and that is very, very busy.

What the hell...

if you have a question for me, ask it in the ask mrs jesus thread. i think the meaning behind my statement is quite clear. i would like to fuck todd kerns stupid.

Guest Idioteque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOXQITf53Co

I found an answer to this.

Kerns’s habit of distancing himself from his rock idols doesn’t mean that he won’t hang out with some of this town’s most popular noisemakers, though. Like Matthew Good, for instance, who shared the songwriting credit with Todd on “Superdrop”. “It’s funny,” Kerns says of the collaboration, “because the more I’ve been thinkin’ about that, the less it seems like a cowrite as much as just sort of a… I mean, a lot of people look at rock musicians as being songwriters, but I’ve always looked at it more as just being in a garage and making noise with your friends. I mean, Matt’s a friend of mine—I sang backups on [the Matthew Good Band’s] Beautiful Midnight—so we were just sort of playin’ around and stumbled across something. Then I took it with us and put it in the machine and it became this big, massive rock song. With Ace Frehley solos!”

I always find it interesting reading reactions to songs that other MG fans don't like as much since I'm usually a fan of the ones most MG fans aren't big fans of (No Liars, the 2017 version of Suburbia, Anti-pop, Rico etc).

Anyways, I remember buying the CD when it first came out and Superdrop was always my favorite track on it (even before I found out MG was a co-writer). It's got a great bass line that is complimented by some intense and fantastic guitar/drum back up, and while a lot of people seem to dislike the lyrics, I really appreciate them. They're self reflective, urgent, somewhat veiled, and compliment the overall mood of the instrumental track. 

I'd be interested to know if Matt helped with the lyrics, the instrumentals, or both. The way Kerns describes it as "playing around" it seems like it would be the instrumental stuff Matt worked on with him, though that's just speculation on my part. 

Edited by daniel_v