garsk

Saddam's Dead?

and now i ask this,

is the death of 3000 soldiers and countless Iraqis an adequate loss for the execution of a single man, who was hung for the murder of 183 people himself?

Thing is, they stopped the trial before they got to the gassing of the Kurds. So that 183 total really ought to be higher. That's no coincidence.

He's dead...they killed...does anyone really believe he got a fair trial, or appeals process, I don't. Does that mean I think he was innocent, of fuck no!!! His ass was guilty as a motherfucker...but if we must adhere to the laws we make...and in this case, I don't feel that we did...I know that some people would have felt that it was beating a dead horse, but he should have been tried for every single crime...so that it could have been recorded for history. So that the world would have a true accounting of what happens when one man is allowed to have absolute dominion over a country.

I used to believe in the death penalty...until I saw how broken the process was that got the accused to that point. Now I ask, what gives us the right to decide who lives or dies...what gives us mere mortals with our many faults that right....

I don't know, but then I watched it on you tube this morning in one of my employee's offices...

I think it's part of the train wreck effect...you can't look away. Some people may see it as a means of closure..

I don't know about anything else, but to me, it reads like a trigger...of bad things to come...

Today on Power 97, they were making a list of nice things someone could say about Saddam if they were giving the eulogy at his funeral. I chuckled. Some things people said were:

Excellent personal hygene

Had no trouble growing facial hair

Sweet gun collection, and probably a good shot

I am by no means saying that Saddam was a cool guy, nor by any means am I saying that he should not have been brought to justice. However, the fact that he was hung was absolutely barbaric and that CNN has been looping the video non stop these last few days is something that is disgusting enough to make me actually cringe.

We know that he's dead. We know that he was hung. We don't need to be shown footage of the setup over and over again. The only reason that it is, is for sensationalism and propaganda. Certainly the US Government has won a great victory as far as

First, he was hung(I'm not sure how true that is)

I agree though...he's Dead...it's over...let's move on...

There is no great victory here...the war is still on and people are still dying on all sides... So in a way his death is pretty pointless...

His death actually means a lot to the Shia and Kurdish population, and the way he died with Al-Sadr's men taunting him has flamed the embers once more in the horrifying civil war in Iraq. I'm not saying that it wasn't terrible, in fact i dont believe in the death penalty so to me, even a tyrant such as he, should be locked up forever in my opinion. If we're going to kill him for gassing his own people we should be killing the first Bush administration for giving him the weapons to commit such an act. If you give a criminal a gun and then he uses it to kill somebody else, you are still liable, if only partly, for the death of the victim. Somehow political leaders get to side-step this if they are the lone superpower, theres a lot of things they get to side-step, apparently the rule of law in almost every instance.

This entire invasion, occupation, and now execution of Saddam has been a farce and has been rife with propaganda from all sides, but of course mostly from the aggressive occupier, i.e. the United States.

That's my two cents.

Edited by supercanuk

If we're going to kill him for gassing his own people we should be killing the first Bush administration for giving him the weapons to commit such an act.

ah well, the American played both sides of the Iran-Iraq War, I dont know what wrong with that?

I used to work with some people that fled Iraq. Thing is, one of their dads used to be a pretty powerful guy in Saddam's regime (though I don't know his name) but eventually fell out of favour with Saddam and was murdered.

Now, don't get me wrong, the girl was a spoiled bitch, she was used to living the good life as a direct result of her dads re;ationship with Saddam.

I can still remember the day that Saddam was captured, I was working with her and the TV in the crew room was on CNN. This girl broke down and cried tears of joy that her fathers murderer was going to be brought to justice. I couldn't help but wonder though, if her father hadn't been killed, would she still have been happy about it? Saddam was responsible for many more deaths than just her fathers and yet her family had no problem being one of the few families in Iraq to be somewhat well off.

I'm not saying I don't feel sympathy for her, no one should have to lose a loved one like that. The thing is, if her dad hadn't been killed, there is a pretty good chance that they'd be in Iraq right now ready to take up the fight. Sure, Sasddam is dead, but has it really solved anything? EVen since his capture, nothing has changed, there are still those who are loyal to him and will continue to be loyal to him until Jeb Bush becomes president, invades Iraq again and kills them.

If they thought that with his death everything would be solved in Iraq, they were TOTALLY wrong... his death is not gonna cover all miseries and all the wrong things the Americans have done with respect to the illegal and shameful invasion in Iraq.

I'm completely against death penalty or capital punishment, no matter how destructive and inhuman the crimes a person such as Sadam have commited

Well, now that it's been several days, people can really see the effect of his death, or lack of effect to be more correct. Violence continues to spread and the whole situation is just as bad if not worse. Saddam was out of power well before his execution, he sat in prison, and had no influence over anything... it would've made no difference whether he would've been left there to sit in prison for the rest of his life or executed. His death brought the war's end no closer. This is all gonna look so interesting in the history books.

it would've made no difference whether he would've been left there to sit in prison for the rest of his life or executed.  His death brought the war's end no closer.  This is all gonna look so interesting in the history books.

Indeed.

In fact, i just want to clarify, the invasion ( the multiple reasons given) one of which was because he gassed his own people. I believe what his trial was based on was the excecution of 160 people or something in a town? I don't remember the specifics but i believe that was one of the main charges. Anyway, this whole debacle keeps getting worse and i believe next week Bush is planning on a 20,000 U.S. troop surge in Iraq so welcome to hell ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by supercanuk

In fact, i just want to clarify, the invasion ( the multiple reasons given) one of which was because he gassed his own people.

actually, the main reason was not so "free Iraki people", it is even more shameful: the ONLY reason to invade Irak was due to economic reasons, to just control the petrol from that country, to be able to use it with total freedom...

... and the results of his death are there: more bombs, more killings, more innocent people dead

... and there you have that "great" universal leader who is Bush: congratulating himself for his death, when Bush is even more terrorist than any other dictator in the world...

too sad...

I felt bad for saddam. is there something wrong with me?

I think anybody as a human person would feel bad when another person (no matter how much horror and pain he has done to other people) is killed

In fact, i just want to clarify, the invasion ( the multiple reasons given) one of which was because he gassed his own people.

actually, the main reason was not so "free Iraki people", it is even more shameful: the ONLY reason to invade Irak was due to economic reasons, to just control the petrol from that country, to be able to use it with total freedom...

Indeed, which is why i said one of the multiple reasons given. Bush and co gave a lot of justifcations, none of which were economic. I didnt say it didnt have anything to do with economics, in fact my posts talking about the war in Afghanistan and Iraq illustrate that it partly was. But what i was saying was that Bush gave several reasons, first weapons of mass destruction, then we were freeing the Iraqi people and he often justified his position by saying " this is the guy who gassed his own people" and " this is the guy that tried to kill my dad" the latter reason was the most rediculous and literally made my fal over laughing when he said it.

Edit: just to make sure everyone knows, im not saying that these reasons were true, or legitimate, just saying that this is what Bush said, i think we all know it's lies.

Edited by supercanuk

yeah, I know Erik you didnt say they were true or legitimate reasons and that they were the unjustified and ridiculous reasons Bush, Blair and Aznar gave to invade Irak...

sorry if you felt that with my answer i was "accusing" you of justifying the invasion or something! I didnt mean to ;)

Edited by juanpe