shade

Shade's Album Upload Topic

This one needs a bit of an introduction...to make it easy I'll copy excerpts from wikipedia...I highly suggest reading:

"Metal Machine Music is generally considered to be either a joke, a begrudging fulfillment of a contractual obligation, or an early example of noise music. Reed has since contradicted popular sentiment, stating that "I was serious about it. I was also really, really stoned"

"Reed was following the work of artists like Albert Ayler and Ornette Coleman in Free jazz, composer Lamonte Young and fellow ex-Velvet Underground member John Cale."

"David Bowie referenced the album in his article for Rolling Stone listing Nine Inch Nails as one of music's "Immortals": "The music is a birthday surprise for Lou. Trent Reznor remixed this version of Metal Machine Music as a present." "

"On their 1985 album Bad Moon Rising, Sonic Youth used samples from it in the songs "Brave Men Run (In My Family)" and "Society Is A Hole." Metal Machine Music was highly influential on Sonic Youth member Lee Ranaldo's solo endeavors, particularly his 1987 album From Here To Infinity, composed entirely of tape loops, feedback, and lock grooves"

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

200px-Metal_machine_music.jpg

Download.

... how is this considered music? I could barely listen to three minutes of it let alone four sixteen minute parts. Sorry dude. ;)

It was nothing really...just some question about what you think music is.

Noise has been around for a long long time in music...Metal Machine Music was just one of the first mainstream albums of the genre. Not many people are into it. So, I understand your dislike.

Edit: and hey, at least you gave it a shot.

Edited by shade

i remember searching a bunch of torrent sites in the summer for specific composers/pieces, and could never find what i was looking for. and now i don't even remember who they were or what pieces of music, except for the three i listed earlier in this thread that i ended up buying. thankfully, i also ended up liking them.

Alright...I'll upload some pop/rock to keep you guys happy.

Alright, Blackfield is a project between Steven Wilson (singer/songwriter of Porcupine Tree) and Aviv Geffin (Israel Pop Singer).

It's pretty much straight up Pop/Rock with a few twists here and there... The first album is better in my opinion...but both are worth a shot.

Blackfield - Blackfield

blackfield.jpg

Download/

Blackfield - Blackfield II

Couldn't find the picture...ahh well

Download.

Haha, I can't believe you listen to Blackfield Jason. Too funny. They're pretty lame, I don't know, I think their other projects are better (Porcupine Tree, Aviv's solo music from the 90's, nowadays he pretty much sucks).

Edit: Ya, I agree they are somewhat lame...I just kind of dig Steven Wilson. Moreso in Porcupine Tree and Bass Communion.

you will like this:

Iron and Wine - Woman King EP

womankingLarge.jpg

Download.

Edited by shade