shade

Shade's Album Upload Topic

cover.jpg

My gift to you Local Rabbits - Basic Concept

Put it on repeat and love it.

Review by Darren Kerr

About eight years ago I caught a set by Montreal's Local Rabbits at the Palladium in Toronto. I thought they were a quirky, unpolished pop band with cowboy hats and a goofy attitude, but even then you could detect a precious stone amidst the rock. Basic Concept is that very emerald, mined, tumbled, and fabricated into a beautiful pendant that shines in the sun.

Peter Elkas has a reflective, melancholy voice akin to the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne, full of texture and nuance. The harmony guitar leads of Elkas and Ben Gunning are always perfectly chosen, and despite the use of the word "harmony," they are not even remotely Allmanesque. Jay Tustin's drums are inventive and special, elevating these great songs, some of which are gems that lesser pop bands only have nocturnal emissions about.

Dig the shimmering, jazzy guitar parts in "This Lengthy Glance," the falsetto overload in the middle of "Nightingale," and the encouraging words for musicians in "Play On." But the wonderful "When You Return" is the point at which I place Local Rabbits on a pedestal. When the verses surge into the chorus, it is addictive bliss, like hard drugs flowing through my headphones, forcing me to hit repeat again and again.

Expect to find Basic Concept high on my year-end best list. Maybe even at the top.

Hey Shade, if you have any free time I was hoping you could re-upload In Absentia.. the link isn't working anymore, and I'm completely addicted to this band.  NEEED MORE.  ahah, thanks so much man.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6f72y2

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

thankyouthankyou

Alright since I'm away from this computer for a week, lets stock up:

Acid Mothers Temple - La Novia

cover_3945162882006.jpg

The song la novia features some sweet jams, amazing throat singing intro...and this kickass mellow part 20 minutes in. The second song is a short nice track...and the third track is kind of meh...but fuck..this album pwns.

Download.

Boris - Soundtrack From Film ''Mabuta No Ura''

boris_150.jpg

For the love of god get this album, Mellow shit for the most part.

Download.

Tomahawk - Tomahawk

tomahawk.jpg

Haven't had any Mike Patton in the thread yet. Here's a good start for anyone new to him. Pretty Fun album as well...tracks like Laredo "cats in the bag and the bags in the river".

fucking get it.

Download.

Alright, Here is the album to get....if you get only one album....I BEG OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Horizons

wom014-horizons200.jpg

Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungles band that explores every genre, basically all instrumentals of amazing quality...eastern influence...LISTEN TO THE EXILE you will love it....album also includes a surf cover of Exodus har.

Download.

I will love you all forever if you give me a review of any of these

I think you might like the boris one best.

Edit: I didn't mean like a full out review...but I just like hearing peoples thoughts on this kind of stuff....nothing elaborate...unless you want to

Edited by shade

I always like to include a more poppy album...so here is one you will all dig.

Opeth - Damnation

damnation.jpg

Typically a growling metal band. This album on the other hand is completely mellow, no screaming, all singing and acoustic guitars even. It's pretty chill...Check out windowpane, in my time of need, and hope leaves.

Download

hah fuck it, I haven't put any rap in this thread yet.

Dalek - Abandoned Language

Pretty cool album. The first song really stands out. He's an interesting rap artist, on Mike Patton's label. Experimental/Ambient at times kind of stuff.

Download

Edited by shade

Okay, so I thought the Boris was kind of boring. I did like the guitar sound, though. I think I need to listen to it in context of the film in order to "get it" more.

I liked the Opeth more. I think listening to all these albums makes me realize I like vocals and lyrics more than instrumental stuff. But its really fun hearing all this new stuff, so keep posting people.

Oh fuck two tracks leaked on Porcupine Tree's New Album.

Alex Lifeson of rush has a solo on the album apparently...fuck the what?

edit: this also proves 13's theory that I get albums that don't exist yet. PWNT

Edited by shade

Something everyone will like...

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Do you have any other Nick Drake, Jason?

I've downloaded Bryter Layter and Five Leaves Left but the quality is absolute shit. I've been trying to find decent quality downloads for months now...

i've got them both. i'll upload them later, if you want.

Patrick Wolf

1083802015.jpeg

A friend of mine describes this as what Thom Yorke's solo album should have sounded like. Definitely seems like Yorke is a big influence. Check it out if you're into Radiohead, and it's more conventional than some Radiohead stuff too so check it out anyway if you're not a big Radiohead fan.

Sounds more like Bjork influence actually, both musically and lyrically.

A very interesting listen, thanks for sharing, but I have to disagree with your friend - I'd pick the Eraser over this album any day.