Mandatory Voting

Should voting be mandatory?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should voting be mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • No opinion

Personally, I'm in the middle, leaning slightly towards yes. With voter turnout declining, I think it may be a good thing to bring about greater democratic representation. Or, if not made mandatory and punishable by fines, then perhaps a tax credit for going out and voting?

Opinions?

NO.

I don't want people voting who are completely uninformed on the issues & candidates. People who don't want to vote & are forced too will just vote for who their friends or parents/family is voting for. They'd be like:

Bob: "Uhh hey Jim whats up with this election?

Jim: "Oh Bob they all suck, Harper is fucking Bush so vote Green they are the only good ones. They're awesome so u just gotta vote green, everyone i know is!"

Bob: "wow cool thanks Jim i'll do that!"

NO.

I don't want people voting who are completely uninformed on the issues & candidates. People who don't want to vote & are forced too will just vote for who their friends or parents/family is voting for. They'd be like:

Jim: "Oh Bob they all suck, Harper is fucking Bush so vote Green they are the only good ones. They're awesome so u just gotta vote green, everyone i know is!"

I don't think that's much different from how it is now, unfortunately.

No. I honestly don't really consider myself a "resident" of where I live right now so it would be irresponsible of me to vote, and had I been able to vote in the recent byelection (I was shy of 18 by a few weeks) I would have refused to on that principle.

NO.

I don't want people voting who are completely uninformed on the issues & candidates.  People who don't want to vote & are forced too will just vote for who their friends or parents/family is voting for.  They'd be like:

Jim: "Oh Bob they all suck, Harper is fucking Bush so vote Green they are the only good ones.  They're awesome so u just gotta vote green, everyone i know is!"

I don't think that's much different from how it is now, unfortunately.

True, but mandatory voting would most likely only increase the uninformed votes.

Then again, maybe a shitload of drugged up hippy votes for the Green Party might shake things up a bit.

I rarely vote but thats mostly because I see 90% polititians as corrupt. the instances where I would vote, my vote would be useless. (the same person has won in my neighbourhood for a long ass time so I don't need to vote for him to get it)

It's sort of a quality vs. quantity issue. If you require people to vote or tax them if they don't and they wouldn't ordinarily vote, then they'll probably try to get away with doing as little as possible to fill the requirement, the bare minimum. It really wouldn't do any good.

The right to vote is a priviledge that our forefathers fought and died for. I have voted in every election, since I was old enough to do so. I have always voted my conscience, and will continue to do so. No matter what the odds are, that my chosen candidate may win or lose. It will not be, because I failed to excercise my right to vote.

Even if no candidates, are appealing in a race, I would rather write in my cat, than not vote.

When you choose not to vote, because "the same person always wins" think about how many other people say the same thing, you might find that all those votes may have made the difference.

I have found all of you to be very intelligent, and fairly well informed individuals, don't let apathy prevent you from excercising your rights. I learned in civics, and then in poly-sci classes, the power of the common voter. The issues that a fervently fight for, among them, gay marriage, tax relief for lower income families, educational spending, and higher education grants, just name a few, have all been moved forward, by the power of the vote.

A very great man once told me, that every vote counts, and that every opinion matters. That man was Senator Claiborne Pell, and because of him,(Pell Grants) many, Americans have completed college, when their families may not have been able to afford it. I for one, happen to believe he is absolutely right. If I could convince even one of you of this, then my one vote will then become two.

The right to vote is a priviledge that our forefathers fought and died for. I have voted in every election, since I was old enough to do so. I have always voted my conscience, and will continue to do so. No matter what the odds are, that my chosen candidate may win or lose. It will not be, because I failed to excercise my right to vote.

Even if no candidates, are appealing in a race, I would rather write in my cat, than not vote.

my voting philosophy exactly. i have in the past put a blank ballot in the box because of the lack of an appealing candidate, or a lack on my part to know anything about the candidates/party platforms, but i always vote.

Id definetely support an incentive, but even there, you take the risk of people just wanting the incentive and not knowing the issues and the candidates. I realize also that already a lot of people dont know the candidates and what they stand for, but still, its a really slippery slope.

Yeah the incentive is subject to the same problems as making voting mandatory. I suspect though, the perhaps that's why politicians and the media might be trying to polarize the public to some extent, it might make people passionate enough about politics to get out and vote. While a vote for a candidate just because they're far left or right of center isn't really the ideal situation, it is probably a step up from not voting at all, and better than people voting pretty much at random to complete a legal obligation.

They have mandatory voting in Australia and Belgium, and I'm pretty sure neither of those countries are tyrannical.

Maybe it is too much to ask of some people to pick up a newspaper once in a while and get off their ass. At the very least, the people who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off when the government does something they don't like. Cast a blank or spoiled ballot, get some exercise. In other countries, voting isn't something that's taken for granted. I hate people, sometimes.

Here's a change of topic: how could voter turnouts be increased, if incentives such as tax breaks weren't allowed? Perhaps more political education at the high school level? Offer classes in politics, instead of just a unit in grade 9 social studies on Canadian government. That way people will have a better understanding of politics and the parties once they become old enough to vote.

They have mandatory voting in Australia and Belgium, and I'm pretty sure neither of those countries are tyrannical.

Maybe it is too much to ask of some people to pick up a newspaper once in a while and get off their ass. At the very least, the people who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off when the government does something they don't like. Cast a blank or spoiled ballot, get some exercise. In other countries, voting isn't something that's taken for granted. I hate people, sometimes.

Here's a change of topic: how could voter turnouts be increased, if incentives such as tax breaks weren't allowed? Perhaps more political education at the high school level? Offer classes in politics, instead of just a unit in grade 9 social studies on Canadian government. That way people will have a better understanding of politics and the parties once they become old enough to vote.

1. Is there a consequence to not voting in those two countries?

2. I definitely agree with education on the subject starting as early as possible. Telling 18 year olds that they should get out and vote when they haven't cared about nor really learned a thing about politics up until that point doesn't really help any.

Teaching kids in grade 9 about the voting process, the different parties (past & present), and the importance of voting should help. Of course that may lead to problems of teachers leaning towards one political party, but I'll take that to the alternative.

At the very least, the people who don't vote shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off when the government does something they don't like.

it does piss me off when i hear someone bitching about how the government is fucking up, and i ask if they voted, and they say "no".

I'd rather not have people who don't care to be informed not vote as opposed to forcing them to vote or "educating them". I know too many people who as is were to influenced by teachers preaching the problems of this party or that party and leaning towards their teacher's choice instead rather than having an opinion and making up their own mind. Isn't it the point that they make up their mind and become informed?

1. Is there a consequence to not voting in those two countries?

I think it's a small fine, maybe about $50 Canadian.

Okay, Derek, you're a fellow Winnipegger. Did you bother to vote in the last election? I had no reason to because I knew Sam Katz was gonna get back in as mayor and, living in Transcona, I knew Bill Blakie was gonna get voted back in as the MP. So should I really be expected to vote if I alraedy know that the people I would've voted for are getting in anyway?