Poprocks

Limblifter (superthread)

Ugh, I'll believe it if I see it.  They've been talking about new album soon for many months saying probably September of last year and now saying likely March of this year.  It's still only a likely and no specific date.  It feels like they're just stringing us along.

New single Dopamine yo.  It's like a cross between Limblifter and Ryan's solo album in my opinion.  I like that it's sounding a little more adventurous (or whatever you'd call it) like Irrational Anthems.  The bass playing and drums are sweet.

https://soundcloud.com/wearebusybodies/dopamine

The bassist would be Megan Bradfield. I am pretty sure she played on I/O - she was touring w/ Limblifter when they opened for MG way back when. She also played on Irrational Anthems, she did some cello in "If This Dance Catches On" by Mounties (who Ryan Dahle also plays with, and who are awesome), and she played on Seriously Serious, Oh Be Joyful and Big City Life if I recall correctly. She's a fantastic musician.

The drum sounds on Dopamine remind me a lot of the drum sounds on the Mounties album, which is a very very good thing.

Yeah, parts of the song remind me a little of Mounties.  Megan is great on bass but she also plays double bass, cello, and clarinet on Irrational Anthems.  I also love her vocal contributions on that album and hope she does lots on the new Limblifter.  She's the best addition to Limblifter/Ryan Dahle's music for sure.  Does anyone know if Ryan and her are married?  I read something that made me think that but I don't know for sure.

Hearing those drums I had to check again to see if Kurt was playing on this album because they are so good and interesting but it's Brent Follett.

I'm really into Dopamine.  When I heard it on a live video it sounded decent but there's so much going on in the 3 minutes of the studio version it's delicious.  Can't wait for the album.

Got my tickets for the Edmonton show. Saw them back in 2012 when they did a short tour. It was fairly small as it wasn't advertised too much, which ended up being a good thing as I got to chat with Ryan and Megan after the show. Was a hell of a good time!

I/O might be the most unique rock album I've ever heard.  I love how each song has a different sound/flavour, and it blends together and flows excellently.  It is also one of the best produced to my ears.

I pretty much couldn't agree more. It deservedly won a juno for best engineered record that year, I believe. It was playing everywhere I went for over a year because most of my friends love the living hell out of it as well. A good friend says it was his soundtrack for riding through the prairies on his motorcycle trip. It is hard to find an album that exemplifies perfection more so than I/O in sound, performance and uniqueness. It will always be a top 5 album for me.

And my first introduction to the songs was also my first time seeing them live when they toured with MG. I'll always remember while hearing Fiercely Co-Dependent live that night I thinking "Why in the hell have I been happy with just having Tinfoil on Big Shiny Tunes" hahaha. Ryan Dahle is A++, and Kurt and Megan are also some of my favourite modern day musicians around. Funny how at the end of the day Todd Kerns is arguably more popular playing bass with Slash than I/O will ever be. No bashing, of course! Just a funny observation on how something so unbelievable can be so under appreciated.

Yeah, with Ryan's versatile talent he should easily be more acknowledged.

I think Bellaclava and I/O are definitely the best Limblifter albums.  I don't know that I can say one is better, but I tend to lean towards I/O being my personal favourite. 

I really really appreciate Irrational Anthems as well.  It's not always as easy to listen to because it's so different in some ways, but DANG is it interesting in my opinion.  Very unique in typical RD fashion.  I think Ryan did very good on letting you be able to hear the individual instruments and vocal parts and subtleties.

I hope Pacific Milk isn't too similar to Irrational Anthems since that's a solo album and we've already heard that, but I would love some of the more interesting elements from that record to come through, and I certainly hear that on Dopamine.  I also want some more energetic songs since it's Limblifter.

Cool.  Apparently the CD pre-orders start shipping later this week and the album isn't officially released for another 3 weeks.  The label is only about a couple hours away so I could have this puppy much earlier than expected.

I cancelled my pre-order as I thought they would ship it near the album release, kinda bummed about doing that now haha. Oh well, I'll pick up a copy from their show in Edmonton this weekend anyways, and hopefully get it autographed.

Guest jjazz

Really couldn't be more excited for this record. I'll be at the Toronto show, looking very forward to it. can't wait to pick up a copy there.

Here's the setlist from Vancouver:

Hotel Knife 

Chop Chop (from Irrational Anthems)

Under the Riot 

Palomino 

Vicious

Cordova 

Tinfoil

Dopamine

Cast A Net

Key of Karavana

Wake Up to the Sun

In/Out

Juliet Club

Moods of Mechanics

Position Open

Cellophane

Screwed It Up

Count to 9

Ariel Vs Lotus

Perfect Day to Disappear

I Wonder If...

Windmilling and Shutdown (also from Irrational Anthems) were on the setlist as "extras" but were not played.