Guest Prosis

Ok Let's Settle This

I remember once my grade six teacher yelling at us (as she was wont to do) about "In high school your english teacher COULD CARE LESS about your french teacher COULD CARE LESS about your geography teacher COULD CARE LESS about [ad infinitum]".

god what a fat bitch.

it's "i couldn't care less", if you want to make sense. it indicates that your level of caring about whatever subject is as low as it possibly could be. saying "i could care less" could me that you care alot about whatever subject, making it an ambiguous statement.

did i not make sense?

I never noticed that there actually were people saying "I could care less"... I think Chris explains it quite well above. "I couldn't care less" is without a doubt in my mind, the correct phrasing if you're trying to express disinterest. All you have to do is put all the meanings of those words together like you would in any other sentence to figure it out...lol

I haven't you seen in a while Daniel, how's it going? ;)

But that doesn't make any sense does it? Isn't "My level of care is so low that it couldn't be lower"?

I'm quoting myself because I want to state for the record that I said what Chris said first ;)

I'm doing quite well Christine thank you (except for my lame ass job :angry:), and you feeling better?

if you "could care less," you are saying that you give importance to the subject. if you give no importance to a subject, you "could not care less."

In this case an expression which originally meant

Edited by saturnine

Both work. You either imply that you care as little as possible already, or that they are lucky you care even as much as you do. It's almost a threat.

but caring less doesn't tell a person how much or how little you care.

i could love my mother less.. but that's easy. i could love cricket less... which is hard because i care very little already.

it just doesn't make any sense to leave it so open-ended when the proper usage makes it perfectly clear.

Yeah. But it's not all in what you say. You need to say "I could care less" with the sort of hostile tone that implies you already don't care much, and if they don't stop talking about it you will be forced to care even less.

Edited by Sparq

i think "i could care less" works because people understand that, although the surface meaning is ambiguous, the implied/deeper meaning is that of "i couldn't care less". it's like double negatives. they are incorrect (in english) on the surface, but everyone understands that when someone uses double negatives, they don't actually mean a positive.