Raine is a pretty shitty singer but older OLP is more geared to his vocal style, so it sounds pretty good. I really dig everything up to (and including) Spiritual Machines although there are definitely a few (not too many) tracks from their older catalouge that I could have done without.

I've heard like two singles from Gravity and was so unimpressed that I didn't even think it was worth downloading so I've never listened to it. I've also seen OLP live and preferred the album versions (mostly due to Raine's singing) so I've never heard their live album either.

I received their new album as a gift so I've listened to it and there are 2 or 3 good songs and the rest are okay. But all of the singles are 10x better than the singles I've heard from Gravity so that gives me hope that they'll possibly release a good album in the future but it's not very likely.

Apparently there are 2 new songs or something on the greatest hits they released but again I haven't bothered.

the drowning song was great. that was pretty much it.

though sometimes, in the night, i wake up in a cold sweat and chant out raine's trademark "AIE."

every song he has.

hahahaha, nail on the head, anton.

someone mentionned earlier that matt and OLP should get along because OLP like to do charity work.... i laughed really hard at that one.

although im sure you could make the arguement that what raine and his wife do for warchild is really making a difference, it's also one of those charities/social organizations that are safe for celebrities to be a part of, and therefore, useless. they look nice for PR right around record-release time, but aside from that, you never really hear about it. and i dont see how raine doing a shitty cover of "imagine" and then slapping it on a compilation with other horrible covers really makes a difference, or can be seen as "doing one's part".

the problem with those NGOs is that they don't address the real problems at hand. they're just fancy-looking. much like "make poverty history," campaign... you'd think if they wanted to make poverty history, that they'd make mention of capitalism somewhere in there... nope. apparently we can live in a world where the economy is based upon exploitation, and still be able to eliminate poverty.

so, i think if matt were to be judging raine simply on his charity work, then he would see him in a similar light to bono, and that is, as a puppet.

I sometimes wonder if they realize they suck, or if they actually think they're good.

olp were good until turner left. everyone's bashing them now but I know you know you all loved them. Raine's voice was cool, or rather, it was. I appreciated his singing because it's rare to have such a distinct, eccentric singing style and still be popular.(you could argue he sounds like corgan, but whatever)

ah I've already made long posts explaining why gravity sucks, I'm not doing it again! maybe ill search for one of the million OLP threads that've been made before.

as for the whole matt/olp thing, that's ancient man

I sometimes wonder if they realize they suck, or if they actually think they're good.

olp were good until turner left. everyone's bashing them now but I know you know you all loved them.  Raine's voice was cool, or rather, it was. I appreciated his singing because it's rare to have such a distinct, eccentric singing style and still be popular.(you could argue he sounds like corgan, but whatever) 

ah I've already made long posts explaining why gravity sucks, I'm not doing it again! maybe ill search for one of the million OLP threads that've been made before.

as for the whole matt/olp thing, that's ancient man

gravity fuckin licked it though, and turner was still the guitarist.

don't go blaming bob rock, either. the producer certainly has an effect on the outcome of an album, but not to the extent that they can really ruin it. that is, if the band is actually good, they can still shine through shoddy production. OLP were carried by arnold lanni's production, and it shows. because it certainly was never raine maida's songwriting. AIE?

Edited by borntohula

Bob Rock does have the habit of sucking the life out of artists...I don't know how else to describe it...my feeling is the more control the artist has with him...the less likely he can do damage...

However, I am pretty sure Mike left after Spiritual Machines...and there is definitely a difference after that...I'd even call it a decline in the songwriting quality...I'd be heavyhanded enough to say, a sharp decline...