Matt

What Are You Reading?

I just finished Twilight. It was exactly what I expected. Fodder for emo 15 yr old girls. I can imagine it giving these girls really unrealistic expectations of boyfriends.

Needless to say, I will not be reading the final two books. I will, however, watch the movie.

Have you read "The Pearl" yet? It's one of his best.

many times, actually. i have no idea why i haven't read the grapes of wrath already. i love steinbeck. the way he puts his words together makes my heart ache. they are so simple, but he seems to never get it wrong. i honestly think that every sentence he writes is perfect.

many times, actually. i have no idea why i haven't read the grapes of wrath already. i love steinbeck. the way he puts his words together makes my heart ache. they are so simple, but he seems to never get it wrong. i honestly think that every sentence he writes is perfect.

I feel that way about him and Hemingway as well. The Sun Also Rises, is one of my favorite books as well. They both use simple language, to spectacular effect.

I feel that way about him and Hemingway as well. The Sun Also Rises, is one of my favorite books as well. They both use simple language, to spectacular effect.

Hemingway? Really? His prose is good, don't get me wrong, but he has that distinctive style of extremely....efficient (for lack of a better word) sentence structure. Very short, very concise, lots of periods. It doesn't leave a ton of room to write truly inspiring prose, IMO.

Fitzgerald, on the other hand...

Edit: Yes, I am a literature nerd.

Edited by Prometheon

I would definitely agree with you on Fitzgerald. My appreciation of Hemingway's stylehas a lot to do with my Freshman Lit class. I got hooked and read everything he wrote in the course of taking that class. The professor(VERY HOT, I'll talk about her in another thread *wink*) was like his biggest fan ever, and she was very clear that for technical ability ability Hemingway was the best of his generation.

I'm currently reading: As I Lay Dying (Faulkner) and trying to get into the SilverChair (Lewis).

I heard that As I Lay Dying is supposed to be this dark comedy, not really finding it to be that so much, but then again, I'm fairly big into Vonnegut so it's kind of an unfair comparison in terms of the "dark comedy" department.