Hyphnip

Queens Of The Stone Age

sticking to roots can be a bad thing. Metallica abandoned their roots and look how well it worked out for them.

Sure, they suck balls now but they're rich!

...bad comparison.

well, thats not always true. just staying in the same vein when it comes to making music.

either way, I'm glad QOTSA changes things up. they're great.

and to think, I hated them until I saw them live. then I gained a whole new respect for them and decided to give them another chance.

Edited by Hyphnip

I enjoy the album. There's a few songs that are kind of meh to me (Into the Hollow, Make It Wit Chu). River in the Road and Suture Up My Future are probably my favorites. I'm not sure they broke a lot of new ground here, although they're definitely experimenting. It's nice to have Troy involved in the songwriting.

This album has a weird feel for me where the production sounds kind of minimal and raw while at the same time there's a good amount going on within the songs. I wish they included the title track on the album.

personally, i liked the exclusion of the title track from the album... because it really made the album more insular and much more of a band effort than any of the albums prior, aside from the first LP.

the song is good, don't get me wrong, but had they included it, era vulgaris would have been far less focused of an effort.

What?  Why?

btw I like how the harmony to the EV chorus is between "make it" and "3's & 7's".

a lot of the other albums, aside from their first, seem to be like "queens of the stone age and friends," and at times, it really works against creating a cohesive, unified work. i think josh was trying to keep era vulgaris as minimal as possible, when it came to contributors (hence only three members being credited in the liner notes, instead of the usual inclusion of every single person to have been involved with the palm desert scene... ever) so its easier to reproduce live as well as the fact that it sets the album apart from prior releases.

rather than using other people's voices on this album, homme channels voices. that couldn't be any clearer on the song "i'm designer." i think his doing that really helps the album become more an exploration of other personas and beliefs.

Edited by borntohula