Guest Prosis

Important Question

Laptop: Mac or PC  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Laptop: Mac or PC

• Mac
    • PC

You can get a Macbook for under $2000. Jason, you must have a 17" Pro? It's not necessary to spend as much as he did, it's a choice.

Windows has roughly 114,000 known viruses. Mac OS X has 0 confirmed viruses since it came out 5 years ago. That alone is a good enough reason to go with a Mac in my opinion. Using an Apple, you aren't constantly worrying about Virus and Spyware protection, which I have found to make a huge difference in my stress level. Despite what some may say about that only being true because they're not as popular, here's a great article that will explain the the truth behind all those types of mythes.

I'm not saying this is true in every case, but in my experience, people who recommend PCs tend to be people who have never spent a significant amount of time on a Mac. I've been a very active user on both Windows and OS X platforms and I find OS X to be superior is many ways. I can't testify against the new Windows Vista however; I haven't heard a thing about it, other than it being

a lot like OS X. Even if Windows has a lot of cool new gadgets now, do you really want to worry about being attacked every time you're on the web?

That's my opinion. Take it or leave it. ;)

It's surprisingly easy and completely free to protect your Windows PC from viruses. It's mostly common sense and experience. The scanner is just there in case you fuck up. I haven't had anything beyond easily-destroyed adware in years (and that was installed as a package deal with some other stuff - I didn't read the EULA).

Simply accept that if a motivated hacker REALLY wants to get in to your computer, they will. Regadless of your hardware, software, precautions,, hopes, dreams, or zodiac sign. There is NO perfect security system. The threat is always one step ahead of the solution.

Edited by Sparq

plus intel chips for mac

The chips have zero to do with it, it's all about the OS. You guys obviously didn't bother reading that article.

About what Anton said about software: it really depends on what you use your computer for. I've had much more luck finding software for my mac than I ever could for my pc for the kind of things I do, and software that is much more reliable.

Edited by Christing

plus intel chips for mac

The chips have zero to do with it, it's all about the OS. You guys obviously didn't bother reading that article.

well aware. just pointing out that mac is attempting to be more and more like a pc to get more customers.

plus intel chips for mac

well aware. just pointing out that mac is attempting to be more and more like a pc to get more customers.

Other way around actually, check my second article smart guy.

Window for Mac is a good point Anton, however it just argues that OS X is superior to Windows. All it tells you is that, yes Windows still sucks, and even if you get a virus, at least you'll still have the trusty mac OS, because it wouldn't be affected.

Edited by Christing

i think viruses are a moot point. i won't deny that macs are far superior for audio/video purposes, but for surfing the internet and using msn messenger they're pretty much obsolete.

How so? What can you do on your pc that I can't on my mac? Get a nudge in messenger?? WooHOO! I haven't seen a thing in almost 3 years that pcs can do that my mac can't that isn 't something that is extremely annoying anyways.

And viruses are far from a moot point for the general public. Not everyone is a computer nerd, you know.

Edited by Christing

for surfing the internet and using msn messenger they're pretty much obsolete.

How so? What can you do on your pc that I can't on my mac? Get a nudge in messenger?? WooHOO!

play games that are not tetris, sims 1.

i think what people are trying to say is that software devs aren't targetting the macs. whatever text editors macs run save for windows computers, photoshop and all the other big apps also have the option to save for pc's. apps are being written for pc's. sure animation and arts are great when you do them on macs but to the average consumer it's just an expensive ipod docking station which also saves files for pcs.

That's a good point Anton, but if we're talking about the average consumer, then we're talking about people who don't know how to deal with viruses on their own, which brings us back to my first point.

While developers aren't targeting mac right now, with the growing popularity of them, can you honestly tell me you don't think that will change? Of course most things are targeted towards the PC. Microsoft dominates the market by far, but that seems to be changing, and with that, so will the way of developers.

I'm not a big game player. Like I said, for the things I do, I think Macs are far superior. And from what I know, Prosis is a web developer, not a gamer... developing on a Mac is a much safer way to ensure everyone on the web can see what you're creating, and with the growing popularity of macs, that's important. I don' t understand why some PC users are fighting it so much. It's happening, and people bashing Apple's advertising isn't going to stop it.

I need to eat supper now. Continue to argue while I'm gone if you want. I'll be back...lol

Edited by Christing