Guest Prosis

Important Question

Laptop: Mac or PC  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Laptop: Mac or PC

• Mac
    • PC

I was turned off by their efforts to be trendy and hip, sacrificing functionality for 'cuteness'. I speak of course, of the original iMac and it's stupid, single-button oreo cookie mouse thing....Followed by that clear plastic monstrosity where the whole upper body of the mouse is the button.

I'm a proud Mac user, but fuck that single click mouse. We definitely agree on this one. One came with my Emac; it's my "back-up" mouse.

Embrace the double click Apple! Microsoft has been copying your shit for years, we'd let it slide if you came out with a double clicker!

If you need extra storage that you can move from system to system, or you just don't want to open up your computer to install a new HDD, then yeah, it's worth it.

Basically it's just a hard drive in a box. You plug it in to the wall and either a firewire or USB port, and the PC picks it up as another drive. Alot of people use them for backing stuff up. I use mine to transfer large files (<80 gigabytes) between different PCs.

Yeah, single click is retarded... So are touchpads. I bought a wireless mouse from Logitech to go with the laptop... Although I did configure the touchpad to be able to perform a double-click in case my batteries die.

I <3 my Wacom tablet too. I think that's the first time I ever made a <3.

Alright, reading the first article that Christine posted and it just confirms what I knew already.

Sure Windows has had a lot more virii, trojans and malware, and alright so Mac has a seen significantly less, 5 (according to that article) to be exact, of any of those.

This is because of one simple fact, Unix. It's not very popular...although growing in popularity...more secure. I have a housemate that is only using Kubuntu linux and when I build my desktop my laptop is going to be converted into a Linux box. Alright so I loose some windows programs, but there are Linux equilavents out there that will work instead...in some cases better. Now I'm not sure if you can install Kubuntu on a Mac, not that you'd need to as they both use Unix backgrounds, but you can install any Linux Distrobution on a PC...and there are many of them to choose from. In the last month or so I've become a huge linux fan, my housemate

My recommendation to anyone looking to get a new computer, write down your requirements adn then look at Mac, Pc, Linux and choose which one is going to work for you. If something works better for one thing than the other, look at the alternate programs and solutions to it and choose. It's all about what you need, not what is more popular or which is better...PC is better for more people because there's more support, Mac is better (in my opinion) for those who need graphics and more specialized needs. I have experience on Macs, not much I'll admit, but I have tinkered with my friends Mac laptops and I actually enjoyed using them. I have often thought about buying a Mac laptop to know how to use them and be able to troubleshoot any problems on a Mac, helpful for the resume and IT Field that I have studied for.

If I had to suggest one, PC with Linux on it...runs like a Mac but with the Windows functionality (double click and cut and paste...etc).

Well I am a huge Linux fan but Holly's Website has some Flash and unfortunately there are no good Flash Pro equivalent on Linux (Flash4Lin is absolute shit). That's a big setback because there's is no way I will keep and maintain two systems on my computer just for one program and I have too little Ram to use VMWare. If it wasn't for this, I would be on a PC with only Linux.

Article

Above is an article I found on Mac sales...

Indeed, the Mac's resurgence aside, the iPod franchise still accounts for nearly 40% of Apple's revenue, and is generally viewed as the linchpin of the company's future fortunes.

In addition to driving iPod sales, the iTunes Store is a profit center. According to analyst Piper Jaffray, the number of songs sold on iTunes jumped 78% in the first nine months of last year, to 695 million (averaging 18.5 million per week). Apple reports having sold more than 1.5 billion music tracks, and tens of millions of TV shows and movies, since iTunes launched in 2003. Its fiscal fourth quarter '06 results included $452 million in "other music-related products and services" (which include iTunes, iPod services, and Apple-branded and third-party iPod accessories).

So yea...

bazing