matrix

300!

While I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping, it was pretty cool. To Eric, I don't know if it was that historically correct, but did I really care? No, because a lot of people died in very grusome ways and that's good in my books.

here's what I think.

bloody amazing movie. gerard butler's performance was awsome. soundtrack was pretty cool. I was really impressed with all the neat little cinematography/symbolism tricks they pulled out throughout the entire movie. and it played much like an actual theater play meets comic book movie.(zack snyder). the color and blood fx was awsome.

I'm only disappointed with the cohreography for the fight scenes. I know the spartans were meant to be badass, but it would have been more effective if the persians had some decent movies. c'mon, they were just walking into the swords of the spartans like bumbling idiots. stab stab stab. they made it look like I could kill a thousand persians. special effects = awsome, choreography = shat. also, there were few decent shots of spartans being maimed/killed

Arnold must be pissed. you have to understand that none the spartans could hold a candle to arnold in his prime, yet their abs looked twice the size of arnold's. someone should win an award for that special effect/make-up.

it was inspired by braveheart(stole things). "fight with your head, then with your heart" is a corny ripoff. they also copied the movie ending.

another thing that annoyed me was their mysterious non- accent. they did the trying-to-be-epic, whisering, lord-of-the-rings type talking. lame

oh yeah, and the severe egoism sort of took away from their heroism. hero's don't spend entire movies saying "they will remember us!", "we are honorable!" etc, it's like, if you're such a man, shut up and fight.

the dialogue was awsome, and the movie flowed well

Edited by heyrabbit

I spent two weeks convincing my friend that it'd be a waste of money to drive across the city to see it at the IMAX. And yesterday I ended up having to go right across the streat fromt hat damn theatre for an interview. Well, it's friday. Technically. Long story.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie to no end.

here's what I think.

bloody amazing movie. gerard butler's performance was awsome. soundtrack was pretty cool. I was really impressed with all the neat little cinematography/symbolism tricks they pulled out throughout the entire movie. and it played much like an actual theater play meets comic book movie.(zack snyder). the color and blood fx was awsome.

I'm only disappointed with the cohreography for the fight scenes. I know the spartans were meant to be badass, but it would have been more effective if the persians had some decent movies. c'mon, they were just walking into the swords of the spartans like bumbling idiots. stab stab stab. they made it look like I could kill a thousand persians. special effects = awsome, choreography = shat. also, there were few decent shots of spartans being maimed/killed

Arnold must be pissed. you have to understand that none the spartans could hold a candle to arnold in his prime, yet their abs looked twice the size of arnold's. someone should win an award for that special effect/make-up.

it was inspired by braveheart(stole things). "fight with your head, then with your heart" is a corny ripoff. they also copied the movie ending.

another thing that annoyed me was their mysterious non- accent. they did the trying-to-be-epic, whisering, lord-of-the-rings type talking. lame

oh yeah, and the severe egoism sort of took away from their heroism. hero's don't spend entire movies saying "they will remember us!", "we are honorable!" etc, it's like, if you're such a man, shut up and fight.

the dialogue was awsome, and the movie flowed well

There was so much build up for this movie, and I was unimpressed with it.

I agree with you in some ways though, heyrabbit.

The choreography wasn't great at all. Literally just like you said, they walked into the Spartans... And every single kill a Spartan mae was put into slow motion , as if trying to make up for the poor fighting! (Even the sex scene was in slow motion.) They could have made it so much better if they steered clear of one liners and really worked on choreography, skipping most of the slow motion crap. The blood effects though, I didn't care for... they were always just a group of assorted spheres, there was no flow, always an upward splash of the same computer generated blobs of crimson.

It was also pretty predictable.[spoilers] In the beginning of the movie, when they're in the field preparing to march away, and that political asshole was like "u nut alowd 2 do taht, lol" I was like, "That guy is going to rape Leonitus' wife. Just watch." And what happened? Same goes with throwing his spear at Xerxes(And missing), the deformed Spartan's betrayel, Pushing the wall of bodies, the one Spartans son getting killed, etc. etc..[/spoilers]

The dialogue was decent, but a major flaw for the movie was all the one liners. They seriously went overboard. This is Sparta, we're in for a long night, blot out the sun/fight in the shade. Those are just the most popular ones. And all the lowly whispering and Middle Earth inspired scripting did lower it on the epic scale.

Maybe adding all the "We are honorable!!" "We'll be remembered!!" "Oh shit! We're cool!" dialogue is for the people that wouldn't catch that they obviously would be in the end. Seriously, I can tell you right now that there's tons of people out there that would simply be too mesmerized by action scenes and one liners to actually hold their attention to anything else. Walking out of the theatres going "Spartans are strong!" "Yeah! Good movie!"

And also, I heard that all the men who played Spartans actually had to work out to get in perfect shape for the movie, that there were no CG effect enhancing their physique. Don't know how valid that is, but it's hearsay. But the wardrobing was good.

I think in the end this is just one of those movies where you have to just stfu and watch it, because breaking it down will just destroy it.

I felt like a grew chest hair just watching it.

Great movie. Visually spectacular. Killing people never looked so beautiful.

Although, as cool as it made everything look, I felt like all the slow mo was kind of over done.

Although, as cool as it made everything look, I felt like all the slow mo was kind of over done.

that's what i thought too. and i agree with you - visually it was incredible. i kept saying 'oh man that would be such an awesome photograph! oh wow i would totally hang that on my wall!' but the actual 'story' - if you can call it that -left a lot to be desired. i'd watch it again though, so i didn't really think it sucked.

haha the movie is an allegory for men. Awesome to look at, often leaves a lot to be desired.

Apparently, it was a shot-for-shot adaptation of the comic book too, which explains the "awesome photograph" moments.

I'd watch it again too, I want to check it out in IMAX actually.