Read Breakfast of Champions first ;) But by doing so you'll miss out on getting to know the main character.. hm.

is it some sort of series? or is the chracter the same in alot of his books?

i think i will read player piano cause it was what was first recommended to me.

on an unrelated note, i bought some books today. crime and punishment, namely.

Personally, I read Slaughterhouse-Five to begin with, as it was the one I had heard the most of. Fascinating book and a good introduction to Vonnegut, and the character referenced above. After that I read Cat's Cradle, which I enjoyed, but not so much. Good book though. Then I read Breakfast of Champions, which I loved, but not so much as Slaughterhouse. All three are well worth your time though.

It's been a very long time since I read Breakfast of Champions, but I remember that the main part of the story is about a writer, who's a bit of a mess, who has to travel to another city to get some sort of writing award.

Meanwhile it intercuts with another story about a used car salesman who's losing it.

That's all I can remember, but it was a great, very funny book. Check it out.