Crusader

2007 Federal Budget

deal or no deal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. deal or no deal?

• Deal
    • No Deal

* The Working Income Tax Benefit, which is intended to assist low-income Canadians who are making the transition from welfare to the workforce.

* A new $2,000 child tax credit that will provide up to $310 of tax relief for each child under 18

* $140 million over the next two years toward a Registered Disability Savings Plan

* Resources to the Canada Revenue Agency to detect and close down tax avoidance through offshore tax havens

* A rebate of up to $2,000 to buyers of fuel-efficient cars

* A levy of up to $4,000 on fuel-inefficient vehicles, which does not extend to gas-guzzling pickup trucks

* An increase in the age limit to 71 from 69 for registered retirement savings plans and registered pensions

* $300 million toward offering a vaccine to protect women against cervical cancer

* An end to the marriage penalty by increasing the spousal and other amounts to provide up to $209 of tax relief for a supporting spouse or single taxpayer supporting a child or relative

http://www.ctv.ca/mini/budget2007/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/budget2007/index.html

So far the Bloc agrees while the Libs and NDP will not pass it.

the budget is just the old liberal budget reworded. take a closer look.

Exactly!!

This is such bollocks!

Even Don Newman, anchor of CBC called Jimbo on the fact that it was the same thing the Tories had critized the Grit's over a while ago. It's an election budget, by that i mean it wont cause an election but when one comes, the Tories will be all "look at our sweet budget we passed". It's just a bunch of balls.

Apparently the money for post-secondary schools is not going to tuition so that makes me angry.

Also, this whole, let's give people a tax break, i'm wondering REALLY how much middle-class family will see if this. Will it actually be 600$?

Anyway, this is balls.

its a yawn. It gives just a enough $$$ to everyone to say they've done something to help, but not enough to anything to actually solve any problems. ie: Some money for the environment, but nothing that will solve the problem or show global leadership. Some more money for families with children, but not much. etc.

Oh yeah, and a shit load of money for Quebec in order to bribe them once again to go in the direction of not holding a referendum.

I would imagine its quite hard to please everyone in a budget & there's never enough money to solve all of Canada's problems but i think they could have done better. Actually glad this budget is more to the left than the Cons would want & they are trying to kiss voters' asses...as they should be.

Overall i'd say i'm somewhat satisfied with the Conservative minority gov't so far, but not overly pleased.

Oh yeah, and a shit load of money for Quebec in order to bribe them once again to go in the direction of not holding a referendum.

I think the money was more for the votes in the upcomming election. If you can win over Ontario and Quebec you have the federal election in the bag with our system. I'm not too sure their worried about Quebec leaving.

I think the money was more for the votes in the upcomming election. If you can win over Ontario and Quebec you have the federal election in the bag with our system. I'm not too sure their worried about Quebec leaving.

yes exactly money for votes for upcoming quebec provincial election. Its basically Liberal Charest vs Parti Quebecois. Do the Cons even have a person running lol? The Quebec money will help Charest & federalist cause, because if the PQ wins guess what they'll call...

i think u meant money 4 votes for federal election right? Thats another big reason, plus giving that money to Quebec got the Bloc on board w/ the budget so it cant be voted down.

yes exactly money for votes for upcoming quebec provincial election. Its basically Liberal Charest vs Parti Quebecois. Do the Cons even have a person running lol? The Quebec money will help Charest & federalist cause, because if the PQ wins guess what they'll call...

i think u meant money 4 votes for federal election right? Thats another big reason, plus giving that money to Quebec got the Bloc on board w/ the budget so it cant be voted down.

Yeah i meant federal election but the pundits have been saying its going for Charest as well.